Does anyone know of anyone using this site from the uk?

I am finding it really hard to source a good sized box (12" length) no one on Ebay over here is selling boxes this big does anyone have any ideas where i can find something of this size or if they even exsist.

Also does anyone have any tip for neck building i have found this really hard on projects in the past and wondered if there was an easier way to build a neck.

Many Thanks

Andrew D

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• HERMIT said:

I use CGARS LTD for my boxes. they are very quick and professional even sending out empty boxes.

You can ask for a lucky dip or trawl through their stock and choose which box you'd like.(may take a week or so if you choose certain brands otherwise it is usually here within a couple of days.) 

Not bad for a fiver and free shipping.

hope this helps   Hermit

• I use CGARS LTD for my boxes. they are very quick and professional even sending out empty boxes.

You can ask for a lucky dip or trawl through their stock and choose which box you'd like.(may take a week or so if you choose certain brands otherwise it is usually here within a couple of days.) 

Not bad for a fiver and free shipping.

hope this helps   Hermit

• Hi Andrew

Good to have another Brit on the team! There's quite a few of us now and many of us have also joined up to the Home Grown Music Collective (www.homegrownmusiccollective.com) which is run by Chickenbone & Roosterman specifically for UK based players/builders or just fans (like me!). You'll find loads of useful contacts on there along with details of the upcoming CBG festival in the midlands later this year - if you've never been, it's a must. This year the headline act is Ben Prestage!!!!!

As for boxes - I know what you mean. I've just picked up a really nice wooden box at a antique/collectors fair. Don't know what it was originally for but it's perfect for a larger style CBG. Cost me £8 though! I think this was a fluke - it's the first I've found and I've been looking a while. Mind you, if your guy in Newcastle can you help you out I'd bite his hand off!! Any spares you get you could always swap/sell via the HGMC members list.

Be good to see you in Brum later this year. Catch you soon fella.

Malc

• Cool. Ill check that shop in Newcastle out. Only live in Leeds so maye worth a visit xD
  • Hey there, don't know if these guys will be any help or not but might be worth a try

http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/empty-cigar-boxes-lucky-p-7112.html

• hi andrew, i made a tenor guitar a while back and used an old chess and backgammon box (there's some pics on my page) that was fairly big and had a great tone and was very solidly built. picked up a couple more from car boots and charity shops since.

as for shaping necks i have a belt sander but i also use a 4 inch grinder (9 quid from boyes sale) with a flap disc in for taking most of the wood off then a normal sander to get the lines proper.

cheers, steve:0)

• Excellent point well made.

There are many common objects out there that probably make better resonators than cigar boxes. There's definitely a lot of mileage in experimenting with tins.

Jef Long said:

I think a lot of us around here lose sight of the fact that when people were making cigar box guitars in the early days of the last century they were using cigar boxes because cigar boxes were plentiful, people throwing them away all the time, not necessarily because they were the holy grail of tone.. 

i recommend embracing the recycling element, grabbing a nearby container of any type and just go for it mate. ;)

• I think most cigar shops would be happy to sell you a box. Some will give them to you as they only throw them out. There are some uk online cigar sellers who will sell you boxes too. You just have to be bold!

• i'm also from the uk and it is pretty hard finding decent looking cigar boxes. Do cigar shops ever sell boxes theyre not using id really like a God of Fire or Cohiba box but the only ones i can find you have to import from America which is pretty expensive so if anyone has any ideas would really appreciate it.
This reply was deleted.