Recently decided to try my hand at building a CBG. I have a drill and plan on picking up a small workbench soon. I figured I'd put off neck building till down the road and so will most likely get a U-Finish neck from Delta Groove. Looking to make a real quality job CBG. What tools should I go out and buy? This would mostly be hand tools or small power tools as I'll be putting the CBG together in my small apt. 

Thanks!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have some drill bits. What sizes are good to have for CBG building?

• I have some drill bits. What sizes are good to have for CBG building?

that's why I recommend a drill bit index card.

For just volume/tone pots and the jack, pilot holes for screws, etc, a little tad oversize hole for pots and the jack is workable, and a small round file can be used if the hole is a tad tight.  pilot screw holes can run a tad undersized and still get the job done. any kit with a handful of bits probably works.

For when you are ready to try tuners, look for something like a set that has 1/16 to 1/2 in 1/64 increments. Depending upon model/manufacture of the tuner as to what size hole you need for the shaft and/or collar and/or bushing and anchor screw(s).  Tuners work best with holes that fit like a glove, no bending moment forces to wear out the gears wormscrew or spline or fatigue the anchor screw.  They are not expensive if you look, I got a good set on sale for $21.

• Kinda depends on what you're building, but I use 1/4" and 5/16" for tuner holes and bushings. 1/8" for string ferrules (pop rivets). For body sound holes, Forstner bits or hole saw bits work just fine. You could probably use a cheaper paddle bit if you're careful. Someone else might want to chime in on that.
  • Raid your kichen for good paring knives. I have bought Victorinox and Kiwi brand paring knives that I keep permanently in my workshop. 

Check out my vid of using the Kiwi brand vegetable peeler as a spokeshave

https://youtu.be/hwpjJeD4_3M

Check out my instructable on making a ukulele with a pocket knife.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-ukulele-with-a-pocket-knife/

• "Check out my vid of using the Kiwi brand vegetable peeler as a spokeshave"

I knew I'd seen someone do that, but couldn't remember who. Thanks for the brain jog.

• OMG!!! Digging for my peeler right now!
  • Drill, drill bits, - you have...

drill bit index - a plastic card full of holes with labels for what size each hole is - essential for picking out the right drill bit, especially for installing pots, jacks, tuners.

a good sharp thin kerf hand saw, perhaps the $9 harborfreight pull saw, cuts fast and easy.

A good half-round file to clean up and fine tune a cut out opening, clean up a cut end, etc.

sandpaper

clamps, clamps, clamps, clamps (and in case I forgot, clamps)  - a good combo kit with 2 or 3 each of several types is a good place to start. No matter how many you have, you often run into a situation where you need 1 more of whatever you just used all that you had.

• Hey, thanks all.

I got a good shopping list. Not going to go too crazy first time round. I'm going to put off making my own necks for the time being, at least till I could a good idea of how a good one is made and feels. I like the idea of hand tools. Gonna get myself a foldable Black & Decker workbench as I have no room in my tiny place for anything else. Definitely don't want to go to crazy on buying tools. Heck I see some chisel sets go for over $700! There's a tool library near where I live might be worth the $100 a year membership. I have a drill and screwdriver set. Getting a bench soon. So I guess I'm looking at buying about 10-12 tools to get started.

• While I generally agree with the others and have most of that stuff and more, for a first build if you buy a neck or built a simple fretless cbg all you need is a basic saw, a rasp, a rat tail file, sandpaper, and a drill with a set of bits.  Consider making a simple one before making your dream guitar.  Take a look at the plans on this site. Also there is a youtube about building one in an hour.  While the hour part did not work for me, it is a simple build that is a great way to start.

• The stability of your new workbench is probably the best single item amongst your list, a good solid bench with a vice, and the ability to clamp things to it, will make all your other purchases much more useable, many great guitars have been made on kitchen tables etc, but a bench you can hammer, glue , clamp on etc is a very good asset

This reply was deleted.