I have looked all over this site and can't find an answer.... I bought a bunch of pre-amps with a rod piezo and started to convert them to disk piezos because I use a bolt for my bridges. I thought this was dumb since they have a rod piezo attached. Can I treat the rod piezo like the disks and hot glue them to the inside of the box cover or neck.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good idea
  • I have had some luck with this set up. It's easier than routing a channel in the bridge.

• 306583413?profile=original

• JL thanks for the diagram. This will help with triming the piezo and also shows that a disc and rod are pretty much the same except for size (therefore power). I've started to experiment . Even clipping the rod to the head of the guitar and I seem to be getting good sound using the preamp that came with it. I'm building a "test" guitar with a back that opens so I can try out various components and placements.
    • That is how I did mine... first one was awesome. The second I decided to cut the piezo shorter... fail... next time I leave it long, up the one was awesome...
  • What do you use to keep the bolt from rolling and messing up the intonation when tuning?

• 306582509?profile=originalIts a bolt and nut at the bridge. I have several sizes to get the action right. I also use a 3/8 x1-1/2  bolt as the nut set in a small indentation. The movement of these allows easy conversion from a low action to a higher action if one wants to play more slide guitar. Intonation doesn't seem to be a problem. Plus the thing looks really cool.

• ok, the hex head of the bolt and hex nut stop it from rolling.  I asked because I have stumbled across a few wall hangers that used a bit of threaded rod, and when I went to tune them I could watch the threaded rod roll toward the neck. 

Its become my new favorite curse word - "Wall Hanger!" LOL

• Rod piezos need direct downward pressure from the bridge. Try a littl experiment: make yourself a wooden bridge, and set it directly atop the rod piezo (you may need t carve a small channel into the base of the bridge for the rod to fit into). It will work.
This reply was deleted.