Doing some early design work for my license plate CBG and I was wondering about pup placement.  It's going to be an electric with a single coil pup.  Just wondering about where I'm going to cut in my license to drop it in. I have some artistic considerations to make with regards to the license plate graphic.

Thanks!

images.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jef,

Fascinating concept.  I'd love to hear what that sounds like.  Can you point me to any links you may have.  That'd be pretty damn cool if I could have a nice clean git top and still achieve an interesting sound.

Thanks for the pic.

• hey man

thats how the famous shane speal / ted crocker stomper licence plate thingy works.

its how i do pretty much all my cookie tin and steel box guitar, its no secret. if you check any of my videos pretty much except the scales are fun thing, pretty sure thats a crocker downunder.  it works awesome.  plus, you can drum on em and shit like that.  With an open tuning my axes make awesome psychedlic ragas and shit real easy.  bang on em all over, on the head and neck even, and with the slide, with bits of metal and stuff like that, real easy to get a cool beat with a looper pedal.  Yeah it do gotta be a ferrous material but if you got a lowecone just aim a strat pickup at the bolt that you shoot thru the guts of it.  i just use the $5 ebay strat pups btw

P101000137.jpgtthats pretty much the secret to the universe right there ;)

• Hi Jef. I assume this would only work with a steel (ferrous) plate. Sounds like a great idea. Do you have any audio examples of this setup?

The Phrygian Kid said:

put it inside and pickup the movement of the plate itself rather than the strings ;)

• Thanks Skeesix, already figuring the extra board inside for added strength.

• If it's a neck through the box design, you may have to add an additional board to the neck inside the box, to accommodate the depth of the pickup. If the pickup is near the neck end, you may have to extend the board an inch or so outside the box because you may have cut all the way through the first neck board and the extra inch will make a stronger joint.

• Bingo! We have a winner!

Mark said:

I'm guessing the main thing that'll influence you is avoiding putting the pickup in the middle of the Route 66 logo.

• Yup, pretty much what anonymous pick and grease stains are saying. For a pickup close to the bridge, the fundamental frequency of the note you are playing will be relatively low in level but the higher order harmonics will be relatively loud - giving a tone that people might describe as "brighter", "trebley" or "high". For a pickup close to the neck the fundamental will be a louder component of the sound, giving a tone people might describe as "full", "pure" or "booming". (NB. the levels of the different harmonics at the neck position is a more complicated matter)

Maybe that's too much science for what you were contemplating. I'm guessing the main thing that'll influence you is avoiding putting the pickup in the middle of the Route 66 logo.

BTW. if you put the pickup near the bride you won't get any tone at all but you might piss off the groom.

• what grease  stains said .  closer to  bridge  =tilly sound .. closer to neck ..   more full and  deep ,

• put it inside and pickup the movement of the plate itself rather than the strings ;)

• Place it wherever you want. If the graphic is important I don't think it matters much where the pup is, should rock.

This reply was deleted.