Live looping

I don't play my CBG too often. The pick up has a pretty sour tone. The no fret thing is pretty frustrating too. Its a beautiful thing. A fan made it for me and sent it to me free so I'm pretty attached to it. I'd play it a lot more if I addressed those 2 issues. Basically I'm a singer/songwriter. Even though there are no CBG's or any other instruments in it I wanted to share my latest video. It's an a capella live looped cover of crossroads. :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjvacflnBzY

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One of my students turned me on to this just now.

• I have a Kyrgyz komuz which is a 3-string fretless instrument. Not wanting to ruin it by adding real frets, I added tie-wrap frets which I tuned using a digital tuner. Don't know why more people don't try tie-wraps. Since then I've used them on a number of CBGs with good results. I use the small thin variety of tie wraps and because I'm music challenged, on one of my 2-stringers I use black tie-wraps for the accidentals and white ones for the natural notes, like the keys of a piano. On the down side, there is some muting going on, but these are all "practice instruments" with no electronics. There's also a lot of good info here on CBN about adding piezo and magnetic pickups, maybe some of their ideas can solve your "sour pickup" problem.
    -Rand.
  • Well let me rephrase my original meaning,

What I would like to be able to do is really similar to some of your stuff with the difference being, instead of pausing the whole loop, (which is fine too, not knocking that at all.) if I could select "channels" of the loop to pause and just leave a basic loop or two at the tap of a pedal, then resume the previous "whole" set of loops.......

Also, I know you can save loops for future use, if thats your thing, (Yeah the obvious use there gets as you said kind of Karioke, but if it saved it in a way I could dissect and use bits and parts I liked for constructing other stuff via multitracking on my DAW, that also could be pretty cool.

Just mentally exploring the possibilitys, and I dont know enough about what these things are capable of!

neanderpaul said:

Sorry, I get... excited?  So many people just use the on board beat, play 4 chords and noodle for 8 minutes. UGH!
  • Hey Paul.  Great stuff... love the Ford Ranchero bit.  I actually have a Jamman myself but I find it to be a source of constant frustration.  Can never seem to hit the loop right.  You've inspired me to try it one... more... time.
  • Sorry, I get... excited?  So many people just use the on board beat, play 4 chords and noodle for 8 minutes. UGH!

Mark Bliss said:
    dont take me wrong, that was one of the most creative uses I have seen in that regard. Just gathering info.
  • dont take me wrong, that was one of the most creative uses I have seen in that regard. Just gathering info.
  • Here is another way to mix it up and add dynamics. I sing/record the 2nd verse, delete it before it repeats, play the solo, then bring the recorded vocal back in and sing/record harmony with it, then sing a countermelody over the 2 part harmony. When I stop the loop I play the drums and the guitar at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joVg0pnneuo
    Mark Bliss said:

I hear ya on the cheese, dont want that effect, but sometimes want something a little more than a steady rhthm track too.

Thanks again!

• I feel like I have addressed the monotony. I feel like the verses and the choruses on "lets run away" for instance are quite dynamically different yet the loop is the same. Verses and chorus are then different. I added the bridge which is totally different from the rest. I feel like it sounds like a song and not a loop. I got a huge compliment from a musician at a gig once. I was packing up. The guy had been working and listening but couldn't see me. He said. "y'all sounded good!" I sounded like a band to him. and he's a musician! It can be done with less.

Mark Bliss said:

I hear ya on the cheese, dont want that effect, but sometimes want something a little more than a steady rhthm track too.

Thanks again!

• I hear ya on the cheese, dont want that effect, but sometimes want something a little more than a steady rhthm track too.

Thanks again!

• Well thanks! :D

Mark Bliss said:
    Oh, and a very happy birthday to ya Paul!
This reply was deleted.