Ok so im 3 strings and im gdg. Scale length 25.5". I'm using lite strings at the moment and I'm happy with the tension and sustain on the 2nd & 3rd, but the first string, tuned correctly, seems much looser and has got that buzz. I'm thinking a heavier gauge might fix the problem. Have I got this all wrong? I'd just like a bit more tension on the first string.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Chordgen.rattree.co.uk
    String tension calculators that I recently wiled away an hour on. I build 25" scale gits, GDg, .042/.032/.022.I've tried different high g strings...010, .013, etc., but I like the heavier wound .022. Anyway, I was muckin' around with tensions, seein' what might balance better than my chosen gauges. The science is pretty straight forward, but I found that even though my tensions were not as close to balanced as one could achieve, the tone and sound are good. It looks like .046/.030/.023 would be better balanced. So science will balance with art when building and playin'. And as we all discover when buildin' gits, there are so many "art" variables..box size, neck wood, electric strings vs. acoustic strings...that a balance of art and science is somewhat random in outcome. Some of my gits sound awesome, others less so. So, I will try some slight variations when stringin' up a couple of gits, but gettin' close is probably gonna be close enough. So light vs. medium vs. heavy will be in the ear of the beholder. Thankfully, strings are a cheap commodity, so experimentation is a low cost excursion into finding your sound. My .02.

• I think you're right. And like you say, strings are relatively cheap so experimentation is a must. Cheers
  • I had the same problem with my 2x4 guitar, same scale length.  I started with the 3/4/5 strings as usual (in this case an acoustic set 25/32/42) and couldn't get the low string to come into tune, it was super tight and still a note low.  I switched it out for the 2nd string which was a 16 and it worked great, tension feels ok, I like the sound but there is some twang to it.  Funny thing is I had a couple of these sets and the other ones worked fine with no issues or maybe not enough to notice.

• Please Forgive the soapbox moment that follows:

to clarify that light/medium/heavy is the TENSION that the package is put together for intended use.

A light tension #6 E string is about the same gauge as a medium tension #5 A string just tuned up a 4th higher.  My go-to reference is the D-Addario string tension guide, showing every gauge and its tension across a full octave of notes you can tune it to.

http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page

• If I'd only had that reference before many years of trial and error!

• I shall reference that reference. Thanks LJ.
  • I rarely look at if the pack says light or medium because the string gauges vary quite a bit from one brand to another and from electric to acoustic. I always look at the actual gauge of the strings. The ones mentioned by CB John are perfect for GDg tuning but I often use lighter ones for a different sound and feel. The lightest gauge I've gotten away with for the high g string is a .017 plain. It has plenty of tension and bends well if bends are in your playing style. The low G is .036ish and the middle D is around .026 when I want a lighter set. This closely corresponds to an electric "regular" set's 5th, 4th and 3rd strings if that helps.

• Thanks. It does help. Being an absolute beginner I didn't know what to think. You and the others contributers help alot. Thank you.
  • so you used the #5, #4, and #1 strings from a pack...with the #1 drop tuned a Major 6th to get the higher G note, yes it will feel floppy.

1) try the #3 string instead for the octave G

2) or the #2 string since its only a major 2nd drop tuning for that octave G

3) or tune the #1 up another octave so its uptuned a minor 2nd for a 1-5-16 (8-octave) tuning.  don't worry, a light tension string can be tuned up a 4th and becomes a medium tension string.

• Thanks JL. Yeah, I've tried a #2 @ .014. Seems much better.
This reply was deleted.