I searched a bunch - even in the pictures section! Couldn't find solid answer, so here goes...

Humbucker or piezo? Single coil?

I've got both. I've seen builds with both. (And I suppose I could wire one with both kinds...)

------------------------------

For the rod piezo i see some that are under the bridge on a wooden biscuit.

Would I need to silicone or epoxy around it to reduce noise?

And should I glue/screw down the bridge? (It's for someone who is a new player, hopefully gluing down is an option so they can't mess it up). Glue down the piece on top of the piezo?

I see some people using bolts as a bridge. Where is the piezo in this setup? Inside the bolt? Again, I assume the bolts are glued/epoxied down.

----------------------------

For the humbucker, would a strap below where it sits be the best for installation? I want to keep as little wood as possible touching the plate so it can resonate more.

--------------------------------------

Should I put a strap under the bridge for support? Don't want the plate to bow.

THANKS!!!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On my builds I have been using a bolt as the bridge. That bolt is drilled and tapped so that I can bolt it to the license plate from the bottom. The bolts that hold the bridge in place also pass through a 4" diameter steel bowl, which helps amplify the sound of the strings. I sandwich the piezo rod between the license plate and the bowl, and I get a really nice sound with lots of steel in it.

• Hey Greg - Is that bowl facing upwards and how do you sandwich it????
      Curious minds need to know!!!!      [ (    or like this [ )

• On the topic of mag pups, consider a single coil pup on the plate vibrations, not the strings. No.cutting holes in the plate and sounds surprisingly good.

Also, no need to reinforce under the bridge in most cases. I used a premade banjo bridge and I'm really happy with it. The string tension holds it just fine.
    • Eric, You mentioned using a single coil on the plate vibrations and not the strings.  How would that be installed?

• Cool. Thanks! Nice builds, by the way...

This reply was deleted.