Replies

• I plan to make one as a Christmas present for my son.  He is a Dallas CB fan and I'll get a nice CB's plate for it.  I think I will use Maple for the box like I did on my first one.  I want to paint the box silver, but am a little leery on painting because of chipping the paint if it gets accidently bumped.  Any suggestions on paint?  I will use corner protectors on the bottom, but not on the top where the plate sits.  I will make the box 12.5"  x  6.5"..  This will give me a 1/4" lip.  I will rout it out with the right size cutter to match the radius on the plate, but I will only go deep enough to make the plate flush with the top.

Any suggestions on the depth?  I plan to use a mini humbucker on it or some kind of pup that is not real noticeable sitting a top the plate.  Maybe a Piezo  inside?? 

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Bill

• I use PPG acrylic enamel with a gloss hardner with great success. My grand kids havent been able to scratch or chip it and they aren't exactly gentle with it. Great shine and the hardner can be used in bulk Rustoleum.

image.jpg

• Another view, my thumb in the reflection.p

image.jpg

• oil based primer and oil based paint will give you the best 'chip resistance'

primer is sort of thinned out paint with glue mixed in. its job is to make the paint stick very well. Oil based paints are more durable than water based.

• I have used reclaimed tongue and groove flooring for the sides. The tongue side makes a nice lip to recess the plate a little bit.  I was able to find old gym flooring pieces which were super strong and stable with nice character, and they also make great necks.

• Arturo Fuente makes a box that is big enough, but I always build my own... I have the same idea for a solid body- glue maple "wings" to a maple neck, and use a license plate as a cover....
  • I figured custom box was the way to go....or solid body
  • I always make my own. But if you find the perfect size, why not??

This reply was deleted.