Let’s talk about stomp boxes…

Made one with piezo, and was completely underwhelmed. Not ready to blame the piezo, but maybe. I think could have been other issues too. So,….

1. The box. Large, small, fat, thin, thick wood, thin wood? Have several to choose from, am considering a Macanudo approx. 8x8x2.5, or a Padron similar to this…
https://cigarstandard.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/77084.jpg

I also have ¼” and 1/8” Swedish ply that I can make a top from. Also some printed circuit .062 fiberglass substrate.

2. Large or small diameter piezo, or a small speaker as pup? Maybe a metal sheet mounted over a magnetic pup?

3. Stompbox will be run thru a stand-alone preamp (7545R).

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I got a good result from a large wooden  with a box 5 inch 8W speaker glued in one corner to the back and two piezo discs glued to the lid. Wiring them with a blend pot gave a good variation in sound. Using the two different types of microphone (speaker and piezo) made it sound like bongos if you tapped different places).

4050336086?profile=RESIZE_710x
    4050339193?profile=RESIZE_710x
    4050341851?profile=RESIZE_710xThe two jack sockets were so I could piggyback the signal onto that from a guitar to one amp.

The two knobs were blend and volume.

• I'm kinda going that way, I have a bunch of small speakers, from some small 1x2 ovals to a big 6 inch heavy sub woofer, and a couple tweeters and lots in between. I also picked up a vouple plastic cases, sort of like small briefcases/tool/pistol cases. They go 'thump' rather nicely.

• 1468634963?width=736&profile=RESIZE_710x

• I made a few a while back and got one that sounded pretty good. I used 3 piezo discs and a ukulele preamp (turn the bass all the way up and treble all the way down). It sounds okay, but I still tend to EQ out some of the midrange when I record it. I've thought about soldering a capacitor on the output jack to filter out some of the midrange permanently... but I've just never got around to doing it. The preamp makes a big difference when dealing with piezos.

This reply was deleted.