I like putting a c-shape on my necks, because that's what I like to play.  I've notice a lot of builders just do a round over on the corners of their 1" x  2".  To me, they're like baseball bats.   I like playing them sometimes, but it's not what I prefer. 

I know I can't build fast enough to have an inventory for Christmas sales, if I take the time to rasp out a c-shape.   For those of you selling, how are you shaping your necks?  How long does it take you to build a ready-for-sale CBG?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If I am using a glued on 1/4 inch fret board, I use a router on the neck to round them more - followed by orbital sander and a bit of hand sanding.

If the build is just a one by two, I do not want to weaken it by removing a lot of wood.  On those I  just round the edges with a rasp followed by orbital sander and a bit of hand sanding.

• I run my necks at a 45deg angle by hand for most of it on the band saw, after removing the bulk of it that way, doesn't take as much shaping, still spend a few hours finishing it though.

• Titch, that was amazing! How many necks can you do with one peeler?
    • I have made a few dozen so far and sharpened the kiwi one once using a little diamond paddle thing. It takes a small amount of practice and a little bit of care on wonky grain but is the bees knees for what I use it for. Kitchenware area of the store is great for nice little paring knives and the like. Victorinox the army knife people make a great little hooked vegetable shaping knife just perfect for whittling and micoplane graters are good too.

• Starting off with good wood selection with nice straight grain and as close to quarter sawn as you can get. This is my method using a y handled vegetable peeler. though I usually taper the neck width and thickness on the bandsaw first and follow up with small block planes spoke shaves rasps and sanding to even things out. 

https://youtu.be/hwpjJeD4_3M

$2 from Kmart no name is my current favourite as it is just a bit stiffer than the $6 Kiwi brand one in the video so it does not dig in as often. 

• Profiling a neck needn't take long - with the right tools and some practice it only takes a few minutes. I use a spokeshave for the bulk of the work. The key to this is making sure that the blade is sharp and the tool is properly set-up.

• Yep,I like your method, as well as your instruments/ideas/vids.

• What rasps do you use? They look like they cut mahogany like its butter...

And the strap down/ end neck support is brilliant!
      • The round rasp is a "MicroPlane", and I've now moved onto using a half round one that fits into a standard hacksaw frame - they are great!

• I really enjoy your videos, I think I've seen every one of them.

This reply was deleted.