Replies

• It's my understanding that tuners should be installed with the shaft toward the guitar body,

and the gear farther away. The logic to this is that the string tension on the shaft puts tension on the gear,

and helps keep the string from in tune

As Mr Sam said, swaping the shafts and gears you can install them as they work best for you.

Going forward I've been using this theory, however,

That said, I've not had a problem with the few I've installed backward for aesthetic reasons

• Yep. Otherwise, over time, they will begin to slip, and will ultimately strip out. Unless you bought the cheapy open backs that are reversible. You'll find that installing them with post toward body leads to better tuning stability, too.
  • yea, I almost didn't post the tip, but I was building for six months (40+ builds) before I figured it out. Glad to help...

the best,

Sam

Old Lowe said:
    Darn It!

I Did not know you could reverse the tuners either I bet i have opened 50 packages to get out one left or right tuner because the one I had left over was the wrong way!

Thanks a million Sam!
    I feel pretty silly I didn't know that.
    KInda Like a sledge hammer of "Oh Yeah" hit me right in the face when I read that.
  • Darn It!

I Did not know you could reverse the tuners either I bet i have opened 50 packages to get out one left or right tuner because the one I had left over was the wrong way!

Thanks a million Sam!
    I feel pretty silly I didn't know that.
    KInda Like a sledge hammer of "Oh Yeah" hit me right in the face when I read that.
  • WS, the tuners are one of the few items I can buy cheaper at my local guitar shop than online! I have a good relationship with the guy though and I do as much of my parts shopping with him as I can - in return I get these tuners half price, plus a bag full of second hand bits n pieces every now and again. Moral of the story - its good to shop local even if it costs a little bit extra.
    For reference though, they are made by "Dr. Parts" and do a sterling job on a cbg!
  • Ben,

where do you get them by the "box full"/???? Supply is an issue out on the plains

the best,

Wichita Sam

Randy Rooster (Ben) said:
    Hey, I didnt realise that WS!
    I hope the need never arises as I buy those open tuners by the box full, but its good to know the option is there, thanks man :o)
  • Hey, I didnt realise that WS!
    I hope the need never arises as I buy those open tuners by the box full, but its good to know the option is there, thanks man :o)
  • Anyother thing that isn't obvious to new builders is that with open back tuner (like the ones in the picture), they are reversable. Just unscrew the screw attaching the gear to the post, then remove the gear and post and then reverse the stem and reattach the gear and post. That way, if you like 3 or 4 in line and you like them all to be "right handed", now you can easily convert the "left handed" ones in a 3+3 set.

the best,

Wichita Sam
  • RandyRoosterGuitars said:
    I apologise if this is obvious and common knowledge, but I did this by accident the other day and what a relief! Now all my cbgs tuners work as they should, without compromising my set up.

It's at least moderately common knowledge. I think Don Thompson presented it a while back on the old yahoo group.

But your picture is the best explanation of it I've seen.
  • no it dont matter you can place them any way you like, that is the beauty of no rules, you make them yerself.i have done 3-n-3 and 4-n-2 and other configurations.fer some strange reason i can not explain i like to put the other side on this side, on a 3-string guit so that the tuners turn backwards. maybe its mojo, it feels like mojo when i tune the guit with tuning keys installed backwards.
This reply was deleted.