I wanna make a go of this but I can't seem to understand some of the music theory, chord form stuff. Who has the lowest low tech  learn to play stuff?-Fat Toed Fozzie

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to." - Elvis Presley

Don't worry about theory, just get some sweet low-down sounds out of that box of yours. Starting off playing guitar by learning theory is like learning to throw a baseball by studying anatomy and physics. Just play. Watch the videos here from Knotlenny and Shane Speal, and check out Snowden's videos, they're pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SnowdenGuitars

Assuming a "5th" tuning like GDG or DAD, count out the frets and use these positions for melodies and chords:

High string: 0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12

Middle string: 0-2-4

For blues or other more mournful songs, use these:

High string: 0-3-5-7-9-12

Middle string: 0-3

For Ghost Riders in the Sky, use the "mournful songs" frets and sound out the melody using the 2nd fret too. Most of the song can play open strings with just the melody on the high string. Play your chords (slide) all the way across the 3rd fret when it sounds right, and toward the end of the verse and for the "ghost riders in the.." part, play all across the 8th fret (a departure from the "norm"). You might play across the 9th for "yippi yay oh" part.

Listen and play until it sounds good. That's all that matters.

Fozz ( love the name, BTW),

You may be a visual learner. All the vid suggestions already given are excellent places to start. You may also want to explore the Tiny bites lessons series currently appearing here on CBN; these are 1-minute lessons on particular aspects of playing. Check the vids portion of the CBN Home page; one appears every few days.

And of course, you can contact Keni Lee Burgess for his video CD series, excerpts of which are also here on CBN. Keni can give you a great theory background.

As already suggested, check out Tiny Bites Lessons.  They are just the right scope for a new beginner that doesn't have much experience with music or guitar playing.  Not too much to be overwhelming at the start and just enough you can get playing by the end of the lesson.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profile/Tinybiteslessons

As you progress you will want more details from longer lessons and there are loads of resources here and elsewhere on the web.  Google "CBG lesson" or "Cigar Box Guitar Lesson" and see what pops up.  Some are great and some are OK, but everyone is teaching their own style and method.

Thanks for the Tiny Bites heads up... Good stuff!

I understand your frustration Fat Toe. Everyone starts there. There are a lot of good videos here and try youtube also. Here is one of my lessons, that I think you should find very straight forward:http://youtu.be/KMdRMFN_5Ck

If you enjoyed the lesson, consider the CD. It is all about that speed.

I teach theory too, but it is far from rocket science. LOL

Many times, students (including myself) start with this easy learn attitude. If then they desire to become better players, they get even more frustrated because they feel they are not getting any better.

There really is a method behind all this madness that progressively helps the student to learn. LOL

Regardless, feel free to write me and ask questions.

Good teachers make the lessons, fit the student. It never should be forced or only one way.

Enjoy your practice, Keni Lee

Scales. Practice scales. And listen. And it'll all come together

I'm following Keni Lee's videos, he also backs up his lessons with personal communication via email. I highly recommend him and his videos. Take your time, practice regularly and have fun!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
24 minutes ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
28 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
2 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
4 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
8 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
8 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
8 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->