Hey friends, I'm trying to wire a lavalier mic into one of my gas can builds. The flexy metal pour spout will house the mic and (hopefully) I'll be able to sing into the spout while playing. I know...ridiculous. The plan is to wire mic and pickup to a three way switch and treat the mic loop as a pickup (does that make sense?) the problem- the mic needs to be powered. I've got 9v bumped down with a resistor for the proper power to be supplied. I've got an 1/8 inch aux plug to plug the mic into. It has 3 posts coming out the back. I'm pretty sure I have all the correct components but I have no idea where to run the wires in between. I'm pretty sure I've been about as clear as mud in trying to explain this. At any rate, I need help. Thanks, Sikes

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• have you considered a ghs soundhole mic..  ?   I love them.. they can feedback but only if you're close to the amp.. they require a AA battery..  they are a pain on a regular acoustic because of the battery location but on a gas can...  or CGB  .. you should be abe to design with easy access. and yes you can sing into it..  I used to sing into the soundhole of the guitar for fun..

• Adam,

I am trying to understand the question a little better. You have a mic that runs on DC voltage and you want to power it with a 9V battery? It is sort of like Phantom power and that is what you would want to emulate. Crazy old guitarists used to power onboard electronics with 3 wire cables to get the job done. With 3 wires you can combine the audio signal ground with the negative side of the battery signal on one wire. Positive audio signal on one wire and positive 9V on the other wire. So you want the mic audio coming out of the guitar amp?I'm sure this has been done both ways. What you want to do can be done, but it does need to be done right. The input of your guitar amp does not want to see 9VDC , but you can block that with a diode. Let me doodle a little with a wiring diagram. It sure sounds do-able.

• Acoustic/piezo preamp?

• If you intend to feed via the same jack as the guitar signal, you might need an impedance matching transformer in the gas can as well, i suspect like others that feedback might be the major obstacle though.

• I think your biggest problem with the mic will be feedback.

• treating the mic (3 wire) as a pickup (2 wire), use pins 1-ground and 2-positive from the mic, ignore the other one (3-negative)

• You tube is your friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S38umqOOvQ

Hope this is what you need.

• Thanks! This is something I've done MANY times. I wish my problem could be sorted with the youtubes...I've yet to find what I'm looking for.
  • Sorry, Sikes, I have no idea but I love the idea of it all. Singing into the spout. Genius! All the best with it and I hope you can share a video once it's done.

Bear :)
This reply was deleted.