Replies

• The glowforge is a good product, but if you're a little tech/mechanical saavy, the K40 laser is a cheaper alternative at about $500.

If you get a K40, ditch the software, and get K40 Whisperer... it's awesome.

oh, and don't ever run over 60% power.

• It does more than cut. I can score or engrave different materials. I did a few cutting boards for christmas.3786574875?profile=RESIZE_710x3786575049?profile=RESIZE_710x3786575201?profile=RESIZE_710x

• There are heaps of cheaper machines around ranging from pocket size laser engraver for under a hundred to multi-head cnc/laser dual rigs for heaps more. These people have died a lot of money into packaging and marketing by the looks of things.

• So all this does for 4K is take place of learning how to use a scroll saw. Awesome idea and admittedly safer than learning a saw. And can see products made with this at craft shows. But it's really expensive for what it does. You'd have to already have a lot of products in mind to justify the cost. 

• I have the basic version. I use it for router templates. I have used it to  burn the front of bodies. Great to use between CBG's to make money. It can cut/burn 1/2" wood! I have not tried 1/2" but did cut 1/4" and 1/8" wood.

• For the price and limitations I think I'd invest in a cnc rig.

This reply was deleted.