I just put up a couple of photos of my latest build. I did it for my guitar instructor, who liked my four-string and asked me to make him a 6-string. He set some parameters by giving me two boxes, a Fender Telecaster bridge and a pickup (that didn't fit the bridge, it turns out).

I chose the box you see in the photo - it's very deep and has a great acoustic sound (even though I didn't make a soundhole). The neck was a find on eBay. I bought it because it has a 23" scale (the guitar is a gift for a woman with small hands) and because I like the star inlays. I bolted it to a piece of 2"x4" pine that I cut down to the right width and length. It fits in the bottom of the box, with its top surface right at the lid joint.

The pickup is a TNT Tele Rails humbucker - very quiet and has a great sound (not as twangy as a Tele because it's a humbucker in a hollow body).

The tuners and wiring harness were bought from someone in Hong Kong, via eBay.

The neck was straight and made of good wood, but the frets were a complete mess. I leveled, crowned, buffed and filed their ends, and now it plays very well indeed.

I sort of hate to give this one up, but I guess once it's off my workbench, then I have space for the next project.

I hope to be able to find some more of these boxes. They're the bomb!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looks great..... I agree on those boxes.  I've made 2 cbg with this gold and black box and it is my fastest sell cbg I have.  Within a day or two they are already sold.  Something about that black and gold draws people in.

Great Job!

This reply was deleted.