Replies

• Great discussion topic! I always keep at least one to see if I can improve on it with the next build.
  • Only have two builds under my belt. Proud of both of them. Second build is sturdy but still needs a bit of tweaking. First build is in pieces right now. Needs a lot of work. Not going to give up on it. I'll either have a playable guitar or it'll fall apart from all my unskilled efforts to make it better.
    I also have the Swamp Witch guitar I won at the CBG fest in St Louis and the four string guitar I bought there as well. Really like them both. Forget who the builders of the four stringer is. Bought a neck from them as well.

So I'd say I got three keepers and a hopeful.

• Ha!   I was going to count and then saw Phrygian's response.   Ditto. 

• Interesting question Jabes. I fight a constant existential struggle between my love of new instruments to play and my loathing of clutter...

I've been making these for 13 months now, and I'm on build 22. Of those I've given away 5, sold 7 and kept my licence plate guitar, one 3 string and one 4 string CBG. All the rest have been scrapped for parts. The first guitar I built which I was pretty much totally happy with (and felt the quality was good enough to sell) was number 12.

Improvements tend to crop up on pretty much every build, and I am in the process of making a new 4 stringer which will replace my current one.

• i  own  65  to  68   guitars  ..  mostly   old contactable teiscos  etc .. ..  and   a  few  on my  own  builds  ..

but    what  some  may   find surprising   is,,,,  ......;

i  do  not  own  my own  swamp witch  .

simply   because  ..  i  get  to  play  them all  .

and   psychologically ,    i  build each  one ,  one at a time  .   as  if  its   is   mine  ,    but  built   with the  customer  in  mind as their  first  without  referring to  a  previous  model  . 

this adds   personalisation   , and  personal   focus  .  and avoids  the cookie cutter syndrome  .  

not to  mention    swamp witches  are sold before  i  build them , they are  made  to  order  . 

then again  ..  i  did  keep  the highwood  / swamp witch  collaboration  model  ...  but  ..    ill   probably   pass  that  on  to    jason  ..     soon  .......  maybe  ;-)

• I tend to build then sell...sometimes someone will ask for a special fitting or fretted then....pressure  !  (-;

• Spending time with a guitar that I'm not keeping has helped me tremendously with actually feeling OK with letting it go.  I've played probably at least 50 hours off the guitar that is going out as a wedding gift.  I figure it's rude to bring another to a wedding wearing white so I've played it in well.  :)

Of course, finally getting to hear someone else play a guitar I've built helps with letting go as well.  I probably account for 30% of the YouTube views.  Hahaha.  There will be fewer keepers as I go along, I suppose.  I had a mind to sell the purple tinjo, but my wife says it is to pretty to send a way.  I guess that one is a keeper.

• All of 'em in my possession are someone else's. The one I actually finished myself earlier this year was given to the son of a friend of mine as a Christmas gift. It was raw, the finishing nail frets did not intonate properly, the neck set angle was off...but it played well as a slider. The next two will be better.
  • I`m a build hoarder...lol   

• I'm sorta on a mission too have one of everything, and feel I'm well on my way....built 28....kept 13 so far....

This reply was deleted.