Bob Wurster of Berkeley Strings Instruments has created a great tutorial on using "High G Major" tuning for 3-string cigar box guitar.

Strings to use on guitar:  DGB strings from a normal pack of guitar strings.

Tuning:  DGB (this is the same as a G major chord).  

As Wurster shows in the video, this tuning enables you to get some Appalachian old timey sounds and also a convincing Rolling Stones sound using the "Keef Chord Secret:"

Wurster also goes on to show you how to re-tune the guitar into an open D power chord for some fun ZZ Top boogie.  

Visit Bob Wurster's profile on Cigar Box Nation.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Fantastic Bob...maybe I can play?  

• Nice work buddy...happy to have someone teach a few chords..and now I want to make a 3 string instrument!!LOL I so enjoy making them, but would rather hear someone good play them!:) cheers from Canada. 

• Love it! Anytime great sound can be made easier to achieve, I'm for it. Thanks Bob!

• Great lesson.   What guage strings are you using? 

• Funny you should post "Play like Keef", I'm soon to build a left hand version of his Macawber 5 string Tele tuned to open G, only it will only have 5 strings, not a cut 6th.

• this is great, thanks for posting,  I never tried the tuning you are using but it sounds good.  Just wondering what guage your strings are??

• Shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone......... this is standard tuning...... and there's no secret about the chords.......those are standard too. : )

other supper secret chords you could play....

OK, so don't tell anyone. : )

• Thank you Bob. This is great, especially for a beginner like me.

• for you theory fans...

Open tuning DGB is the second inversion of the G major chord GBD which is still G major

Playing the high string 1 fret higher and the low string 2 frets higher, EGC is the first inversion of the C major chord CEG which is still C major.  How about that, going G major up to C major without moving.

And you can play minor chords by playing both the high and low strings 1 fret up from the middle string.

• Yes, sir.  I like DGB.  Loved your old timey stuff and I am surprised to hear it sound so good on Stones.  You play great, but much of that good sound is the amp and settings.  Good stuff. 

This reply was deleted.