Replies

• Sorry I posted this........thought It might be a "Good Samaritan" post of interest to people around here. Was just trying to spread the word to any who may have wanted to participate. Unfortunately, I feels to me that this has turned into a bit if a rant! Will definitely not be sharing this type of info again. I'll just stay with the over 100 people who did contribute and who thought it to be a worthwhile venture.

Out of this discussion.
  • To be fair, Mr. Johnson did not post this discussion.

He posted to his YouTube channel where it would be be viewed by his fans who would likely be interested in contributing to the project.

Professional quality video production is a great deal of work and consequently is not free.

His presentation of the project on his channel is not offensive and crowd funding is a viable business practice.

• to be honest I think it a bit of a cheek to be asking for money to set up a business like venture.

even if it is a tutorial vids, if its a cause as I understand it charity?.

so is he planning selling the dvd's and all proceeds to charity? or his own pocket?

its a bit like me asking all classic bike owners to contribute in setting up a business,so that I can to sell them obsolete  parts that are no longer available.

if he want to help folks then why not do as you has done you tubes. you don't need fancy back ground.

he already has some you tubes post so why not??

• It's a kickstart program... Crowdfunding... A way to raise capital from many investors rather than one or two. A lot of startup businesses do it. A lot of rock groups do it to raise money for an upcoming album
    • I have very mixed views on this sort of "crowd funding"...if there's an arrangement whereby you get back a return on your investment (that's your typical sort of sharefolder / investor deal), then I can see that's it's equitable on all sides, but to ask for money for your business venture just on the strength of a feel-good factor for the supporter, that feels a little one-sided.  I know I'm behind the times on this...and behind the game no doubt, and it's the way to go for many performers to make recordings etc...but there's always something in me that feels if you want to make it happen, you make it happen off your own back....you figure out your costs for labour, materials, bought-in services, overheads etc, you forecast the potential sales, figure out the percentage return, set a retail price  and determine a net profit...and put your own money and effort into it.  My daughters clued me up a bit more about crowd funding in the music scene..apparently there's a lot of projects don't reach the target level of contributions set by the entrepreneur (or artist/business person whatever you want to call them) ...so then the  project doesn't happen, and the money doesn't get given back...money for nothin'. I'm not casting aspersions on this project, but the basic principles sort of sit uneasily with me...but then I'm out of touch with these new fangled ways....

• Let's put it this way John.....he has probably done just about as much as anyone re: promoting this form and style of music and instruments. You are not required to contribute! The post was put up as a means of informing those people who may be interested in supporting this. I'm sorry if this offended your sensibilities. Yes....some people do this as a business....we all have to eat! I don't see any prob with them making a living out of this type of endeavour.
      • it hasn't offend one iota.

the only way that I can be offended is a punch on the noseface-punch.gif

some people do this as a business....we all have to eat!

and so do we.

when I started my business  ,I started with nothing and built it up over the years.

every thing in life is a gamble and I made mine .

I often get ask ..do I have this or that but I don't expect folks to cough up their cash in order for me to buy all that I need to set it up.

so as far as J.J concerned he has been doing this for several years so he say.

if so he should have saved up incase he need a new source of income or set up a new business ,

even if it is tutorial. how ever you look at its still a business.

• Three threads opened on one subject within an hour lacks symmetry, you'll need to add one more for balance.

This reply was deleted.