Just finished today. Found a book about CBG's in the library a couple weeks ago and it blew my mind. I can't believe I didn't know about these! I'm hooked for sure now.

I went with a Honduran theme, since that's where the cigars came from. Found a couple Honduran coins on ebay for 99 cents to add to the theme. Oak neck salvaged from a rough sawn sawmill scrap. Skeleton key bridge was 99 cents too.  

More pics under my profile if interested, any feedback good or bad appreciated. I'm already thinking about the next one and the main thing I want to change is the lack of a scarf joint at the head. I don't like this straight neck, too hard for the strings to stay put. Also thinking I shouldn't have fretted. I got a low action and works great for fingering, but slide seems hard.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, if looks could kill - you definitely don't need advise in providing a great looking product. My first two builds sounded great, since I did not have a good idea of what I was doing. UNITIL I did my third build and found out what a build is suppose to sound like.

Point is, I do not believe the height is what makes the difference. The angle from the attachments - furrells and tuners to the bridge and nut, and the construction under the bridge are far more important. Perhaps putting a wood "strap" in front of the bridge between it and the furrels to force a greated angle for the strings coming up to the bridge may help. Same thing between the tuners and nut to create and angle for the strings coming up to the nut there. This may also help with the strings staying put. Just a thought. No garuntees.

• I think my main problem with the low action, at first, was I'm new to slide playing. After a week or two now, it's doesn't seem so bad. The other problem, maybe, is the strings. I put extra light strings on it since I didn't know how strong my neck would be. Again, after a week or two, I've realized that my neck is absolutey not a problem, I'm going to put heavier strings on it one of these days. I think the oak neck, which is doubled through the box, is strong enough for any strings or tuning, I was just scared it would flex when I was building. Newbie guessing.

P.S. Post some pictures of your stuff, I looked at your page and didn't see any.

• That's an awesome first build.

Larger strings with definitely help with the slide playing. Even though the action on my regular 6 string is low I like playing slide in D on it. That said I have found even with the higher action on the two I've built I really like tuning to E on CBGs for the extra tension.

• Extremely clean first build. Very very nice finish and everything
  • dab nab it, tarnation, just ain't fair. I labor and am proud os something that looks  - well it is not asymetrical, is not looking all nice and finished, when one says "warts and all" the  warts is pretty much the sum total of the all. Then I see a first build like this - WOW!

Ok, what is the secret I have yet to discover? This thing is beautiful  - I want to do beautiful;  I want to build beautiful and play amazing! Please God let me do beautiful and amazing!

Have been thinking a lot of Robert Johnson lately. Where was that crossroad he met the Devil at? Hell, I'm thinking of making my own deal.

"I don't know, but I been told, a three string tar ain't got no soul. If you get up, and truck on down, Ol nick is waitin, at the edge of town. He'll give you licks, he'll give you strokes, he'll make you slick, and take you soul".

• nice rhyme Frank...

• Im currently working on my first wooden cigar box guitar. I enjoy building mine and hope to be finished with it shortly. I hope to do the fretting this weekend!

• I much better at building than playing, wish it were the other way around. I'm starting another one, this one for my little girl. It's going to have the diatonic fretting in hopes that it will be easier for her to learn some simple songs. I'm also trying a scarf joint neck this time too.

305907440?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Lucky girl, with that sweet Rocky Patel box! There's something to be said for building nice gits, man. Makes all the player-types want 'em ;-)
  • Low action is good....contrary to what a lot of folks think, you don't need high action for slide.  Having it a tiny bit higher than regular guitar action is good, but only maybe a millimeter (1/16") higher at the nut than regular action and 2-3mm (1/8") higher at the 12th fret is all you need for easy slide playing.  That way you'll be able to play slide, do fretted chords and bass runs etc. 

Playing slide does need a sensitive and light touch. If you blunder away for ages  playing slide on a guitar with ridiculously high action you'll find it difficult to really acquire "the touch".

This reply was deleted.