Well...the hubcap is thick metal and the front of the guitar is a thin stove top. Clamps would bend the thin metal. The edges of the hub are angled so clamps would occupy almost over the center of the hub. one very dense metal and one super thin metal seems like a drilling challenge....I think the thinner metal or tin would give out pretty quick. rope or wire seems to get in the way of strings. I'm thinking clear silicone around the edges but I'm open to any suggestions to join these two parts. Kinda frustrating as this would be the last major hurdle.

image.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks to all. Needs strings but I will post some noise as soon as I can

image.jpg

• Have you considered soldering it Jon? I wouldn't recommend all the way round,but 3 or 4 spots about 1/2 inch long would do it                http://handmademusicclubhouse.com/group/tincanalley/forum/topics/al...

• Darryl,
      Do you think partially soldering it wiould hold? It's an interesting idea...seems to me that would be alot of solder even in parts. Maybe worth a try..
      • I think if you have a good close joint it should be ok,i would probably try a solder with a high lead content to allow a bit of flex,and if it shows signs of cracking later,you'd just need to re sweat it,i'd reckon

• I couldn't find long screws (locally anyway) ...other than adding more wood to meet the bowl for a screw it's looking like solder is worth a try.
          • Solder will tear, unless you have a good amount of touching surfaces... Good luck!  If you have a Mapp gas torch, you can do a little brazing... a few tacks will hold it together.

• Thank you john. Haven't committed yet but I do want to get this cbg done so it can be played hah...famous last words. I'm looking for screws first and I'll go from there. I've wanted to weld or braze but I've not been too keen on learning that just yet. Thanks for the heads up!
              • Why not just build up the blocks on the back of the neck and use a short screw and washer to secure the bowl ?

• Yup. That's was it. Still drying. Thank you for all the incredible feedback. Best site ever!!!
    • I have but that's alot of solder? Not sure it will hold
This reply was deleted.