I am thinking of building a Japanese type instrument, 3 strings and wondering if anyone has tried to get the oriental sound. The tuning might be BEb or possibly CFc. I saw the group Yashida Brothers on a video playing 3 stringed instruments. Sounded very unique. Thanks for taking a look...Peter

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you want the authentic sound it's going to be tough to purchase the hide used for the head...open can of tuna in a live trap left outside over night would sort that out.

• no cat skins no dog skins just another box and faith...P

• What and give up the only good use for a cat ever invented by man? :D

Thinking about this seriously though a box with the lid replaced by a piece of synthetic hide would probably get you close to the sound.

Are you going to make a plectrum?

Cow horn is easy to work and generally cheap.

Cut a piece out a little larger than the finished plectrum.

Even out the thickness a bit.

Heat in mineral oil for about ten minutes.(Hot but not boiling)

Place between two scrap pieces of wood and set a brick or two on top to flatten the horn.

Leave until cool.

Scrape to desired finished thickness.

Shape and give it a light polish with #0000 steel wool.

• I have actually carved a plectrum from a scrape of hardwood and sharpened the blade part. It feels pretty good in my hand and I'm learning to use it on youtube...P

• Well let us hear how it comes out when you get the hang of playing.

•    Well, the most common tuning for the Shamisen is the so-called Honchosi tuning (Home tuning),

the first and third string tuned an octave apart, the second tuned a fourth from the first: DGD, for

instance. In other words, ADA, GCG, etc. But...you also see, for example, DAD and DGC,

although DGD-type tuning is the core tuning.What's really important here is the style of playing,

and the plectrum:

305789713?profile=original

• I remeber the first time i saw someone playing one of these! i looked at my friend and asked in all seriousness, "are they using ice scrapers as picks??!??" 
    • The plectrum looks large and I tried the tunings on a 3 string box that i had un-stringed. It sounded a bit high in overall tone. perhaps some larger strings and a lower tuning to get the oriental tone i saw on u-tube.  Have you used these plectrums and are the makable...P

•    These days, most such instruments use nylon, as opposed to the traditional gut. Metal strings

are uncommon. No reason you couldn't make a plectrum. I've got one a relative gave me... the

edge is actually sharp!

• I believe I will get some nylon strings. I saw the plectrums on ebay very expensive for what looks like a putty knife. I am going to draw a couple templates and try different materials. Can't believe what a retired guy will do to keep busy. At the end of the attempt a little Makers Mark might help...P

This reply was deleted.