I’ve purchased a preamplifier which I intend to use externally for several piezo builds. I’ll eventually mount it in a wooden box but in the meantime I’m making use of a small cardboard box. I’ve removed the piezo rod and wired it’s cable to a 1/4 inch jack as the input. However when I connected everything the result was nothing. On checking the set up I noticed that the supplied output Jack seems to be wired differently, possibly stereo. It has a red wire soldered to the same lug as the earth, and two white wires soldered to individual lugs, if I don’t insert my lead all the way in I can get an output through my amplifier, but it’s a bit hit and miss. Can I change to jack to a mono version and simply combine the white wires to the live lug?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Michael, this may be easier to understand.

In my last post I said two extra sockets, they can both be mono. Wired as pick says, braid to earth, plain wire to the tip contact.
    8409811852?profile=RESIZE_710x

Cheers Taff

• A picture would tell the story a lot better?

• if you are describing what i think you are , and its a mesh sheilded wire . you need to use the  mesh itself as the 4 th wire . ie : making your jack wire a 2 wire cord  at that end .

8406901079?profile=RESIZE_710x

tip , solder coat it first . it will want to pull apart easily . 

• Hi, I think you will find that the jack is wired to also switch the battery on /off as you plug in/out. I would wire mono at the guitar and stereo at you p/a box. You'll need two sockets, one mono one stereo.
    Taff

•  I've long wondered this, (not enough to look, obviously).

This reply was deleted.