Ok, dumb question but were do you prefer the jack pluck on a cbg, in the back(end) bottom or on the face of the box. I'm thinking the back is best but I see some on the front and wonder what you more seasoned guitarists think. I want to know more for the general public more than myself for adding to for sale CBG's, my own would mostly be in back.  Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On my metal box guitar I placed the jack on the side next to where the strap attaches to the neck. Seems to work OK, no noise problems when playing and sitting down on my sofa. I wonder where to put a volume pot though. I want to keep the top of the guitar clear for freedom of movement, and the strap might rub against the knob if I put the pot next to the jack.
  • Here a Picture of the drawer pulls I find them in with the knobs and such .

• really looks nice. when you say drawer pull, what is that? you got a pic of one not drilled.
    Cogdell boy (Robert J.) said:
    I always go for the end with the jack mounted inside a brass drawer pull .. That way it's out of the way

• I always go for the end with the jack mounted inside a brass drawer pull .. That way it's out of the way

• So far I have always used the back corner and it works really well with a right angled amp lead.

• I thought about the acoustic properties after I made the post, back side it is, thanks for the input.

Brendan deVallance said:
    I like the back end of the box (back side?) personally, keep the front as free as possible. Dont want to interfere with the musical properties of the acoustic sound. —B
  • I like the back end of the box (back side?) personally, keep the front as free as possible. Dont want to interfere with the musical properties of the acoustic sound. —B
  • Personally, I think it depends on how the player is going to use the guitar.

If you are standing with a strap, then I'd use the back end bottom. I do think it looks better that way. But ... if the guitar player generally sits with the guitar in his/her lap, then it works best out the front.

Go for looks or "playability".
  • For myself, off the back makes most sense to me. It's probably not verifiable but, I feel like there might be less pull or torque on the jack mounting itself this way too. and I've played a few regular guitars (Flying V's) with the plug on the front and always end up running the cord through and behind the strap anyways to keep it out of the way.
This reply was deleted.