In the new issue of Cycle World magazine, Technical Editor Kevin Cameron’s article talks about, in part, some of the benefits of building/modifying (motorcycles). For anyone who questions our motives with our cigar boxes, etc., I thought some of his ideas might help explain our efforts..

“The result is usually low-key and as personal as old clothes. It radiates the feeling that this is a traveling companion, not a star in comparison with which you, the rider, are nothing but a roadie. It says that the partnership and the journey are more important than the arrival.”

{snip}

“In the process of building something, you learn so much and have so many more ideas that when you’re done, you can’t wait to start building something better. Each thing created thus potentially carries the seeds of further creation.”

Kevin Cameron, “The Quest for the Authentic, It’s Created, Not Bought,” Cycle World, Dec. 2014

Thought it was worth sharing.

Chooglin'.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• About high B and E strings: Check out CB Gitty's string guide and hear a 3-string with the two high strings plus the lowest string. (2 octaves between the top and bottom strings.) This configuration leaves the A, D, and G strings of a 6-string set to use on another instrument as G-D-g. Or--you could buy strings from Gitty  and just get the ones you need!!

About motorcycle mags: When I look at the pictures everything looks like a potential resonator or ornament for yet another CBG.

• Similar reasons for me as well.

Jeepers usually say "built, not bought" to describe their modified off-road vehicle.  It is excessively cheaper to purchase an already-modified Jeep from someone who has run out of money, had a life changing event, or other reason to give it up.  But I had too much fun researching and doing my own mods to ever think about just buying a used lifted Jeep for $5,000.

I've given up off-roading and sold my Jeep.  I was working on rebuilding a 1947 Willys CJ-2A, which I still have, when I caught the CBG bug.  The Willys sits in the barn waiting for the electrical work to get done so I can fire up the motor to see if it runs.  The repro steel tub is sitting there on a pallet taking up space.  And still, I build guitars.

10391861_101821469840447_3362345_n.jpg?oh=dc4c7296575c0981482b8783b847e543&oe=5516777B&__gda__=1426949271_15fcdebe820d58fced17a7eb30525f0a

• Funny how our OCD focus changes so quickly.

• Ya’ know, if we could find a good psychiatrist who’d give us a group discount, I bet we could get to the bottom of this. Or even better… does anyone know a shrink who’d take new/unused B and high E guitar strings in lieu of cash??

• The real challenge is designing an instrument that would use all those unused strings. There must be hundreds sitting in shops and garages.

• 29 or 30 in. 2 string cbg, using the oft-unused high b and e stings tuned to g and d

• Set up strings for checking fret level and neck alignment.

• Eric > Yup, good one.
              Also… and most of these are just silly, obviously:
              http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-850782.html
              (I like the “Our school shop class has a styrofoam cutter, which uses a heated-up old G string” reply… tho’ I can’t remember the last time I needed to cut Styrofoam.)

I'd like to find a needy 6-string player who breaks his/her 1st and 2nd strings way too often...

• I'd be happy to break all the strings you want. I have a heavy right hand ;-).
                • I'll trade ya' for a couple of your oil wells! :D

This reply was deleted.