Im a beginner with no guitar experience. But I see some 4 sringers that I like and I have a 3 stringer now. If I learn songs (mostly Barr chords 3 5 7 12 frets   Can those same songs  Be played on a 4 stringer with the same hand positions if both tuned to open G? Just wondering for leaning if it would be confusing to go from 3 to 4 strings while beginning. Are the two finger chords different?  Thanks for any info or guidance.  

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like 4 stringers for the reasons Keni states (flexibility in essence). Depending on the strings you use and tuning, you can easily play with 3 of the 4 strings or use all 4. Many times, I only use 3 of the 4. I use the DGBe strings and tune the same BUT know I can tune DGBd or just play the DGB strings muting the 'e' string.

If I want I can also use the ADGB strings and tune like Keni suggests.

-WY

• It isn't. Follow Keni's advice - it's easier if you think about the two tunings/stringings as two slices of one bigger pattern/tuning.

I'm switching constantly between 2,3,4 and 6 stringers (actually only two "patterns" Open-G and "standard/tenor/gitarron")- EA, GDg, DGDGbd, EADG, ADGCEA). Am not a greatest musician myself, but after a while one just gets used to the different configurations.

• Tune both to open G, the 3 string GBD and the 4 string DGBD.  To go from the 3-banger to the 4, just put your finger behind the same fret on the 1st and 4th strings.
  • There are many possibilities for stringing and tuning CBGs.

On a 3 string you can use standard strings ADg and tune GDg.

On your 4 string you can simply extend the range by adding the b string and tune GDgb, or add the lower E string and tune DGdg.

On my instructional video CDs (www.ebay.com Search: keni lee), I take this approach.

I take the full 6 string Open G tuning (DGDgbd) and basically cut it in half.

CD 4: 3 string (GDg) and CD 5: 4 string (Dgbd)

Due to the different string arrangements, the playing approaches are different on the CBGs, but if you then explore 6 string too, you will understand the full fingerboard.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to write if you have any further questions. Enjoy your practice, Keni Lee 

This reply was deleted.