Is any box game?

I've got this box , you see ..... My 1st build was a typical 3 stringer. I played awful. I play bass, so now I've built 1 cbg, 1 cbbass, 1 cbbass with a factory neck, and a shortscale reso-cb-sumthinorother. I plan on chaing down a wine box or 2 .. bass needs the size (volume). But still, I've got ths box ..... I wanna build a reso-cbbass thats big enuff and loud enuff for acoustic jam ... with a pick-up for "just-in-case". So ... I've got this box .... a round hoop cheese box. Whaddaya think? Matt

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When I was a small kid I went to the local 'hop' , and skiffle music was all the rage.
    The bass was made out of a wooden tea chest with a broom handle attached by a hinge so the bassist pulled back on the handle (neck) to get a higher tone. It did look like hard work though. Oh and if I remember right he had to put one foot on the box to hold it down. I have no idea what he used for string but it looked to me like thick catapult elastic.
    Pete.

tinyguitars said:
    The reso may help Matt, but the fact remains that you need a hugely large and obese box, crate or whatever to get any volume from an acoustic bass. This is why bass viols are "stand up" basses; they just HAVE to be that big. I know the cheese wheel box you are talking about, what is it like 15-18" wide? Maybe if you used 2 of them? Or even 4?

Matt Towe said:
    Ok , let's back-up a bit ....
  • After seeing some of Bonehead's stuff, I can hardly look it anything without seeing with strings!!
  • Wine Box , what a GREAT IDEA !!!!! More healthy to empty too ...!!!
    Mat , seems the sky's the limit ... been seriously looking at the old Toaster... hahahaha
  • Ok , let's back-up a bit ....

I've got this box , you see .....

It's about the box.

My 1st build was a typical 3 stringer. I played awful. I play bass, so now I've built 1 cbg, 1 cbbass, 1 cbbass with a factory neck, and a shortscale reso-cb-sumthinorother.

I've already built 2 cbg and 2 cb basses. I know their limitations with sound and size.

I plan on chasing down a wine box or 2 .. bass needs the size (volume).

I know it's about the size ..... but it's not about an upright.

But still, I've got ths box .....

Again, it's about the cheese box.

I wanna build a reso-cbbass thats big enuff and loud enuff for acoustic jam ... with a pick-up for "just-in-case".

So ... I've got this box .... a round hoop cheese box.

Whaddaya think?

About putting a big resonator in a hoop cheese box.

Matt
  • I think Bonehead built an upright bass out of a huge pressure cooker.
  • Check out James Bernards wastub and bassdrum basses.Ive seen people get good volume with the bass drum.I built a gas tank bass.(for a no wood building contest) It didnt get the acoustic volume I was hoping for.
  • Not even with some un-godly big resonator?

Other than that ... what about the cheese box idea?

Matt
This reply was deleted.