VIDEO: The World's Most Irritating Instrument

Meet the Savart's Wheel, a tuned rasp instrument performed by legendary instrument inventor, Bart Hopkin.  There are thirty discs placed on a rotating spindle, each with ridges placed on the edges.  Hopkin uses hand-held styrofoam cups with plastic plectrums as the means of playing/amplifying the notes.  (Styrofoam is a great resonating material!)

Enjoy the irritating sounds as Hopkin plays Somewhere Over the Rainbow!  (We're hoping that he records a Christmas album on the Savart's Wheel someday...)

Learn more about the Savart's Wheel by visiting Bart Hopkin's website.

A note from Shane Speal:  Bart Hopkin's work has been highly influential in my study of DIY instruments.  The back issues of his now out-of-print magazine, "Experimental Musical Instruments" are an essential resource. This book contains all of the canjo-building how-to info that Ben "Gitty" Baker has gleaned over almost a decade of building these fun, easy-to-play instruments. Canjos are one of the easiest homemade instruments to build, and now you have all of the how-to guidance you need right at your fingertips! This guide is chock-full of detailed color photos and diagrams to walk you through each step of canjo-building.

How to Build a Canjo - $9.99

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ... I LIKED IT!! :)
  • Almost as irritating as my wife on a relentless rant about my cbg's?

• Too funny. You better hope she doesn't see this post or you'll be making a lot of replacement gits. Haha

• It deserves a spot on the Steve Allen show...

• holy hell... it's like screaming puppies nails on a chalkboard.   Good for him!  Glad I don't HAVE to listen to it...

• Thanks for the morning laugh

• I am pretty sure that with some effort, I could improve the design.

Getting the drum to run true and reduce "wow" and "flutter" would be a start. Then changing to a drum of infinitely varying diameter instead of steps.

Color coding zones for pitch reference might be a good thing.

I am confident I could improve the results to at minimum, the level of horrible. LOL!

Interesting concept, from a thinking man. Dig it.

• That's very raspy.

• Yea.  Pretty ugly.  Sorta takes the glass harmonica concept and gives it a big middle finger!  But...have any of you guys done any exploring on Bart's website?  I think it's REALLY cool!  Some of the instruments he invented and plays are just weird and not very pleasant-sounding.  But some of them are really beautiful!  Inspired by Bart's pot harp (I think that's its name)--I have a couple of old stew pots at home that I'm going to make into some kind of harp.  His floating guitar is really pretty-sounding too.  And IMO he plays pretty well.  I like the gongs too.

• I'll be featuring his videos on a weekly basis.  His work radically changed my life.  Learn everything you can from Bart Hopkin.

This reply was deleted.