Inlay.

I'm thinking about trying out some inlay on a fretboard.

I get the basic way of carving out a shape, copy the shape where you want it, carve out a corresponding hole, glue it in, fill the gaps with 'sawdust/glue'

Any tips and advice is most welcome as they might get me brave enough to try it.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• what about the little dremel tool.

• Stewart MacDonald has a very nice precision router base and carbide downcut inlay router bits for the Dremel tool that make routering for inlay fairly easy even for a beginner. I had some pretty good luck so far with inlaying some mother of pearl stars. Take your time, go slow and you won't do too many mistakes, besides those you fill with coloured gel super glue and sand flat with your inlay.

GEDC6206.JPG

• Absolutely right. I thought about this but it's really hard to make triangles with these things. Not to mention straight edges.

• There is an attachment to make your dremel stand up like a router.  But I agree, the corners would still need handwork if you want them to go to a point.

• Sometimes the right tool is worth the investment.  An inlay router bit & bushing kit ( $30.00 on Amazon )will let you carve the recess easily to match a template you make for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7xtLCz8aA

• Need a router first.

I think I will persevere with a craft knife and swearing

This reply was deleted.