Good morning folks:

The diddley bow is the first musical instrument I've ever picked up and felt good about noodling with. I spent a fair chunk of my childhood in New Orleans, and my weekends were occupied with listening to Jazz concerts, funerals and pickup bands in Jackson Square, when I wasn't listening to Cajun music on the radio. Creole French was a required language in elementary school, at least in that era. So I had a nodding understanding of blues, jazz and their deep history. My time in the Service gave me two and a half years to listen to Moroccan, Algerian, Tunisian, West African and Turkish music in my off time, and the diddley bow is probably suited to those traditions, as well as Finnish folk music.

I've never been able to study Western music-something like dyslexia makes trying to look at musical notation headache inducing, so I am delighted to find canjo notation readable!

There is one question I keep asking myself-where's the "bow" in the diddley bow? Just a figure of speech, or are/were there musicians in the community who use a violin bow or similar with their one or two string stick and cigar box instrument?

Thanks for being here, one and all

Gordon Cooper
Bremerton WA (West of Seattle)

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• found your answer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tys6dmEMyRk

• Could look at it threw physics. If you take an unseasoned piece of wood. Attach it to a box. Then attach a taunt string to it. The wood would bow. Probably the reason it's known that players used a slide to create the notes. And a striking tool or hard plucking action to create the vibrations. Just a guess.

• http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/the-first-string-instrument-mou...

Here's my take on this.

• while some  ideas  for the name  origin   resemble    this  popular  statement ;

"The musical instrument "Diddley Bow" probably got its name from the verb "diddle" combined with the noun "bow" (with its meaning of "a part of a stringed instrument")."

i  submit  my  personal thoughts of  the  originals   mostly  being   a broomstick  or a thin  board , with a string  , thus  resembling a   "bow " as  in  bow and arrow  ."   in-fact   folks have  been known to  play  a bow(weapon)  pressed  up against a crate   etc  .  combine that  with  diddly  meaning  "cheat / falsified  ,  and    "playing around with".   a homemade  "bow/ guitar  makes sense  "   

diddly bows are  not  well  known  for  being  played  with a bow  . altho  some    folks  have, and do play it   with one  . 

that's my 2 and a half cents  , and   probably  worth every penny  ;-)

quijongo.jpg  MusicalBow.gif

_5187090_orig.jpg

This reply was deleted.