Greetings all,

I'm working on another build with dual springs along the thru body neck inside the box for reverb effect.  My last build didn't seem to generate that much effect from the springs, so I thought I would turn to the collective think tank for some thoughts.

What size spring works best?

What tension? (tight or loose?)

Spring material make a difference?

Thanks in advance for all the wisdom.  You all are awesome!!!

Poppabear

Views: 1554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got a bunch of different springs from Lowe's. I used some screen door return springs and some that are stiffer when I made my tremolo out of a door hinge. The thinner/less stiff add more reverb effect while the stiff springs are more reserved like the way a Stratocaster sounds.

I really like the screen door return springs in my acoustic CBG build, it sounds awesome.

You need to extend the springs from the neck area to the bridge area for the best results.

I have used internal springs for several builds and I always get an effect acoustically and as is with each build, each sound is different. I like the results. The latest build (cookie tin 2018) I also used a piezo and thought it would be too much, but it really was not but the piezo was affixed to the neck not the metal. I am betting it might have been too much if attached to the metal.

Good to hear that the springs in the tin wasn't too much. I like the Tri-Cone build.

Thanks Paul. I do miss the tricone guitar. I enjoyed building and playing it. It was sold to a teenager who recently started guitar, so I hope he is having a ball with it.

I put just enough tension on the spring to make it go "twang" when I flick it with my finger. Works for me.

It could cool to do one like yours, but attached to a adjustable tension screw on one end so you could dial in the amount of tension wanted. Might even be able to have a warble reverb effect.

I thought the spring has to go to peizo, I did this on my turkey dish resonator years ago?

I think you need two piezos on fixed and one on a spring so you get the two tones mixing together.. hangon a tick..

This was 2011 and has two piezos one on the back of the neck and one on a steel spring arm with a spring back to the top of the body -  sounds like this -  excuse the playing this was 7 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT3FTPY-MJc

How a reverb tank workes:

"The basic concept is this: a transducer converts an electrical signal into mechanical motion. That mechanical motion modulates the spring which then carries a similarly shaped wave across its length and mechanically moves a magnet on the other end. This moving magnet generates current across a pickup which is then amplified into an output signal. The spring itself continues to carry that wave back and forth along its length.

This effectively turns a single impulse of energy into a decaying wave shape."

Hi, just wondering if anybody has added a dampener to the spring, on/off switch, or some other way of before and after listening test.

Taff

Hard to do with a physical spring reverb because of the vibrations, you'll only be able to change the intensity of the effect. At least that's what I'm thinking. A electronic reverb effect would be easily dampened or turned on/off.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->