Hi All!

I am plotting out my first CBG build. With my minimal experience with woodworking , I am trying to understand if there are any techniques I can use to transfer Images to the box. Mark introduced me to a brilliant technique using decals + lacquer spray. I am also looking at gel medium , but it seems to involve going to the water park (which I am trying to avoid). So are there any techniques you guys turn to to add a personal touch to your CBG?

Many thanks!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here's the process I use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3X0vLWtEY

There is a caveat, however: I learned the hard way that the toner in Brother laser printers isn't compatible with this process. I've tried everything from Acetone to Xylene, and it just doesn't want to come off the paper. All isn't lost, however. I further found out that photocopier toner works very well. So, if you have a Brother laser printer or an ink jet printer, just print out a page full of the transfers that you'd like to make, then photocopy it and use the photocopy.

• There is a process called Decoupage that I learned way back in Cub Scouts.  You use a special glue (decoupage glue) to adhere and coat pictures onto wood, etc.  You can buy it at a hobby store.

My buddy Jimbo made a Jamesons guitar for a work buddy using this technique.......

306095235?profile=original306095889?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I have tied and I have Failed but I will try again.

• On my recent ones I've got into woodburning, so similar to above I print off what image I want, reverse it, then I get the iron and just iron on the image, and then go over the lines with the woodburner.  Had great results so far.

• Was this with an inkjet or laser printer?

• Laser printer.
        • The laser printer toner is heat soluble, so it makes sense that an iron would to the trick.  Good thinking!

• Those are both techniques which I'll try for sure... many thanks!

• I learned a very simple technique while in photography school.  You'll need some solvent and a laser printer.  You could probably just get a bottle of xylene, but it's pretty nasty stuff so I suggest that you go to an art supply store and get yourself a Chartpak Colorless Blender marker. - http://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Ad-Markers-Colorless-Blender/dp/B002... .  This "marker" is actually just a felt tipped marker body filled with xylene.  

Print whatever you like on the laser printer.  If there are any words in your design, be sure to adjust the print settings so the image prints backwards (mirror image).  Cut out the design to within 1/4 inch, then use masking tape to stick the paper (image down) onto whatever you're transferring.  

In small sections, apply the xylene to the paper, then rub with the back of a spoon.  The xylene melts the laser toner and the rubbing adheres it to the surface.

I've only ever tried this with B&W laser prints, but it may also work with color.

You can see this in process in this image - http://instagram.com/p/VSE55GkDVZ/

This reply was deleted.