Replies

• Ok hmmmmmmmmmmmm,
    When I built it I didnt put any sort of stuffing in it at all. Its just the empty box with the piezo glued to the underside of the lid. Maybe thats the problem. At the time I didnt know they needed any sort of material inside other then the piezo itself.
    One day soon ( I hope) I'll have time to pull it apart and give it another shot .
    Thanks guys very informative thread here!!!!!!!!!!
  • Wade said:

Is your stomp box is all acoustic Sam? Very interesting.

Wade

Hi Wade,

Yes, it's all acoustic and very loud. Because it uses an "Ashton VSG" box that's built like a brick house, all you have to do is have a sound hole or two or four, install the tambourine"kicker" (your music store in the drum section will have these to top high hat cymbals) ... I used cut down cedar blocks sometimes found in cigar boxes as spacers and a dowel rod thru the top, a spacer, the tamborine thingy, a spacer and the box bottom... close the box.... and then, just stomp away.... it makes a great "stomp on the floor" sound, plus the added "jingle" of a tamborine...

The tamborine thingy is cheap ( around $ 15 at Guitar Center)....

the best,

Wichita Sam
  • Roger, I placed a piezo inside a sponge and then stuffed it into a cigar box. It sounds pretty decent with a big amp and the right settings to get that bass sound.

Is your stomp box is all acoustic Sam? Very interesting.

Wade
  • Ted, I knew that words wouldn't work, so here are a couple pics. The point of the carpet is to keep it from sliding around on slick floors and to give a little "rebound" precussiveness on hard floors. It is really helpful in old stomp style playing and when your going minimal (hognose amp, busking situation). the best, Sam Ted Crocker said:
    "tambourine like toppers..."

Is that a mic or pup or...?

Wichita Sam said:
    Roger, I've gone a whole different route. Instead of a piezo or mag pup in a box, I've put one of those tamborine like toppers that you sometimes see mounted on a high hat cymbal inside a sturdy CB. drill 3 or 4 one inch sound holes, glue some carpet to the bottom and stomp away. a nice noisy combination "plank floor meets tent revival" sound. I've used it in a 250 seat auditorium and you can hear it easily all the way to the back...

Anyway, thought you might like to consider something different. If you want some pics, let me know...

the best,

Wichita Sam
  • Roger, I've gone a whole different route. Instead of a piezo or mag pup in a box, I've put one of those tamborine like toppers that you sometimes see mounted on a high hat cymbal inside a sturdy CB. drill 3 or 4 one inch sound holes, glue some carpet to the bottom and stomp away. a nice noisy combination "plank floor meets tent revival" sound. I've used it in a 250 seat auditorium and you can hear it easily all the way to the back...

Anyway, thought you might like to consider something different. If you want some pics, let me know...

the best,

Wichita Sam
  • I went to a local blues artist's show a few weeks ago... he was tapping his foot on the foot of his mic stand while he played guitar and was getting a really good thump from it, lol.

Some people make the bottom of the box bent - a very very shallow V, so, when you step on it, it rocks down onto the floor. Part is hitting the floor and the other part is vibrating freely.
This reply was deleted.