I have a box that I’d like to turn into a guitar, but there is significant sentimental value and I don’t want to start work until I have a plan. For my wife and I’s first anniversary, she bought me a bottle of Jameson’s Middleton, very rare Irish whiskey. The bottle was about $200 when is was purchased in 2009. Fast forward 10 years and my youngest son’s name is Jameson and it would be something I can hand down. I started research to see if I messed the box up, could I get another? To my surprise, I found that in 2009, the volume sold was only 1/3 of their typical release and the bottle is now selling for nearly $2,000! I want to do justice for whiskey and design a guitar with enough class to be worthy of that $2,000 and something I’m proud to hand down. I’m open to any and all ideas.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do a dry run on it with a less important box .   or .. send the box to one of  us  to  make a guitar out of it  for you  . research the builders  here well . their style ,matching level of  quality you are looking for , .# of builds under their belt ,  etc etc..  altho . building yourself   makes it more personal ,  and  eliminates shipping cost and risk.  so a dry run may be your better option .   another consideration is a cbg  "kit"  comes with all you would need  , and instructions , just replace the box  with yours .  maybe upgrade   some hardware .  or use the kit as the guinea pig , and you will   still have a cool guitar  when you hand  the nice one down ;-)

• You might consider building a guitar out of a less desirable box if you are trying something you have not done before. That’s what I did when I bought a $60 Marvel Mystery oil can. I used a free turpentine can to work out the bugs before going on to work on something important to me.

• just from the photos of the ebay 2007 box posted by Korrigan it looks like the lid's skirt is thick enough for the through-neck to cut into the lid and not the bottom....

but also 2nd that same post, practice on something else to work out the bugs....

• If you're interested in a 2007 box to practice on...

Ebay

If not, I may have to buy it.  : )

• Hi Hubert, I did not know what a wine box looked like, so I googled it. Now I know.

I would suggest what I do, it's about planning.

My list would include or I would consider: being different, being interesting, being playable (fretting or slide), what parts do I have available or wish to buy, will the box provide a good acoustic sound, where to place the soundhole and what shape, will I use a pickup (what type?) . And then consider how will I secure the neck, scale length and bridge position (so that I don't mess with labels and stickers, how many strings and what embellishments would suit the build.

I lay out the parts on the top, or timber the size of the top, to play with positioning. A few card cutouts of soundholes help with this. Lots of other things happen along the way, but this will hopefully get you started.

I don't look at other guitars for ideas, but if you are new to the game, Google "wine box guitars" I see a heap there.

hope this helps 

Taff

• Hi, can you show a photo of the box to start the ideas flowing, I'm sure there's plenty of ideas out there.

Taff

• A pic of the box may help . 

This reply was deleted.