Hi all, I'm building a cigar box mandolin, and I'm wondering if anybody has any advice as to how to re-enforce the body so I can put the full 8 strings on it. does anyone know how I should do it? All advice is much appreciated thanks (I will be making the boxes from scratch, so advice on woods, and thicknesses is also much appreciated )

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I recently built a neck through CBM...from all the videos I'm seeing online it seems to be holding up quite well.

306316271?profile=RESIZE_480x480

• Sound good?
      • Yes sir

check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiYXE8K7sBM

Oh and btw ...this is a neck thru (just too the inside tail end)...with a neck support.

306322374?profile=RESIZE_320x320

You can see from the back side how I adapted the neck....using glue and screws. As well the tail piece screws and strap pin screw enter into the end of the neck....so she ain't moving.

Happy building!

Oh....message me if I can help.

• Elliott,

Send JuJu a Friend Request here on CBN:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profile/soundssogood

I'm sure he'd tell you how he did his.
    • Thank you thank you thank you thank you heaps, I will, chears
  • Uh... Isn't that profile pic one of juju's?.
    • Hey Phrygian kid and everyone else, sorry I haven't talked, I've been busy with assignments, just wondering, how much clearance I will need to give the top, from the thru neck, I'm not too sure bout that, and also if you know juju, or have contact with him, could you or if anyone else has advice or can help, please please please ask him about the woods he used for parts and thickness if possible, I just really really love the grain and colour, also, just wondering, will I be able to use traditional mandolin woods like cedar, to make a cigar box mandolin the normal way, or do I have to edit it? E.g, side woods the same type top the same and bottom the same, but just square?
    • Yes, that's one of my mate JuJu's 6 strings.

• Oh, we'll tell him I recon it's EPIC!!!
        P.s. Thanks for letting me know, I've been wondering who made it
    • Also this is the rough sketch of the mandolin
This reply was deleted.