hybrid guitars????

I had this old strat clone that I had salvaged electronics from... since I had been always curious about "hybrid" guitar setup (a little bass, a little guitar).... I dropped an "A" ans "D" bass string on the top two positions and the 5-4-3 strings on the bottom three positons... tuned Bass G and C and open G on the guitar strings it opens some interesting possibilities. If it works out, I"ll build a hybrid CBG on this setup.... Like the duct tape holding in the pup? the best, Wichita Sam

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The fan fret system was invented by luthier Ralph Novak. I actually got to meet Ralph ( a real nice guy) at a luthier's thing back in the early 90's and try out one of his fan fret guitars. I remember it being very comfortable to play and it sounded great. You would think the slanted frets would throw you off, but it didn't take me more than a minute to get oriented.

Anyway, his system is patented, so technically you need to buy a neck or fingerboard made by him. But if you want to fudge it, the only thing I can tell you is that the 12th fret is the only fret straight across like a normal fret. All the other ones slant either to the left or the right starting from there.

Skeesix
  • UPDATE: This afternoon in the shop to do surgery on the ducttape hybrid.... plugged three tuner peg holes with dowel rod, redrilled for two bass tuners, recut nut and removed on bridge and move another to an intermediate postion... Works good... give me a week and I'll post some music...
  • Awesome piece of kit - Both Hunters and yours Sam!

I tried swapping the low E for a phat bass string on my lil b*****d build - so it was 1 bass and 3 guitar strings. I thought it sounded cool, but I had real trouble playing it! I think with a little practice though it could be really interesting.

Keep the mojo tape too!!
  • YUP!II THERE you go! That one also was one of the inspirations for my 10 stringer, among others! I've thought about trying fanned frets, but am not quite sure how to do it properly.
    Fernando Amorim (SmokeBoxBlues) said:
    ...something like this:

Carlie Hunter's guitar!
  • one word.... Craigs List... seriously, you can pickup strat clones for $30-50 if you keep watch... that red one I got for $ 40 with a mini amp and a high hat cymbal..... So I resell the high hat for $ 50 and have the guitar and amp for free... no guilt about scavenging parts off a perfectly playable guitar....

HOGS GRUNT said:
    I love beaten up guitars with tape on. It means they have been USED.
    I wouldn't mind a couple to play around with!
  • I love beaten up guitars with tape on. It means they have been USED.
    I wouldn't mind a couple to play around with!
  • DuctTape to rule the world.... it's hiding a dual rail humbucker, but the string spacing was perfect as it was, so....

Will Carter said:
    WS, love the tape mate. Agreed with Knotlenny - Van halen would be proud!
  • Henry,

I messed with it enough last night that I'm sure I like it. I'm going to recut the nut to get proper/workable spacing on the bass strings....
    thanks,

Sam

HENRY LOWMAN said:
    Kinda like an Idea on the guitar I posted pics of, the fretless headless one. It becomes a combo 2 stringer and three (or, in MY case, four) stringer on one neck. I really do like yours, wonder how it sounds? COOOOOOL!!
  • WS, love the tape mate. Agreed with Knotlenny - Van halen would be proud!
  • Kinda like an Idea on the guitar I posted pics of, the fretless headless one. It becomes a combo 2 stringer and three (or, in MY case, four) stringer on one neck. I really do like yours, wonder how it sounds? COOOOOOL!!
This reply was deleted.