Replies

• I've been "tap testing" some hubcaps lately (yes I get funny looks sometimes but thats just from those that KNOW I am a little off) But I found that the common "dog dish" style hubcap used on late model (say 90's through recent) Ford trucks (Often found on vans) have a definite sharp natural ring to them that might be interesting!

• I think i remember Seasick Steve use Morris Minor hubcaps on his build, they must be pretty hard to get hold of now but do the job very well! (-;

• I think i remember Seasick Steve use Morris Minor hubcaps on his build, they must be pretty hard to get hold of now but do the job very well! (-;

search for "top gear seasick steve" on YT!

• You can see in my ID photo a CG I built single cone style and uses 64 volvo hubcap for the resonator.

I used a brass serving plate that was a little bigger than the cone and cut it out the middle leaving just enough room for the cone ( hubcap) to seat. The lip on the plate was raised so  I  cut the hole in the body  just big enough to allow the raised lip of the plate to rest on the body. Then I glued it on.

The bridge I craved out of bone and bolted it to the hubcap. I hope no one wants to shoot me , but I also drilled a number of holes in the hubcap to allow sound out.  Sounds like a dobro –warm tones.

• Hi Doug,

You can get an idea in the video that Randy Bretz posted of how  he built his.  I built one in a similar way, but no truss rod.  Check my photos and video too.  The video is Mercury Blues for a Merc hubacap.   Mine sounds more bluesy...   I think the hubcaps Randy and I used are about ideal.  I just siliconed my hubcap to the neck and backing plate. 

Good luck. 

• That thing sounds beautiful, Randy.  So bright.  Nice playing.

Randy S. Bretz said:
This reply was deleted.