How to make a cigar box ukulele

Hello, I have posted a pdf with pictures and discussion on how to make a cigar box ukulele. Please check http://www.carolinafiddle.com/boxfiddles.htm and go down the page to the "How to make a cigar box ukulele" link. I will be happy to answer questions or paricipate in discussion on this subject. Sincerely, Steven Miller

48 Totem Overall.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That is a very good tutorial. I printed it and used it as a guide to building my first Ukulele. I didn't build mine quite that strong either, but it is only a little soprano with nylon strings. Thanks for the great help.
  • Thanks for your interest Mark. My friends also chided me for "overbuilding" these Ukes. I wanted to try out the tapered mortise and tenon technique before building an acoustic guitar that way. (The guitar is currently about 1/2 finished.) Also, I have become very careful about instrument strength, since I sell my instruments. I really don't want a broken instrument coming back (and an unhappy customer.) Best Regards, Steven
  • Mark Werner said:
    Very nicely done. I didn't use nearly that amount of reinforcement on my own uke; (see my pics) the neck bolts on to a mere 1/4 oak plate on the neck end. I used a small interior reinforcement on the heel end to screw the tailpiece into, and then a floating bridge with no top reinforcement at all. (A plywood box was used)
    Nylon strings on mine...Not that much tension.
  • Very nicely done. I didn't use nearly that amount of reinforcement on my own uke; (see my pics) the neck bolts on to a mere 1/4 oak plate on the neck end. I used a small interior reinforcement on the heel end to screw the tailpiece into, and then a floating bridge with no top reinforcement at all. (A plywood box was used)
    Nylon strings on mine...Not that much tension.
This reply was deleted.