Currently working on a couple CBG's and am planning on not fixing my hardwood bridge to the soundboard.  Just curious what methods people employ to keep something like a hardwood bridge from moving around, scratching up the finish, etc...???  Is there something I should paint on the feet of this thing?

Any advice is helpful, thanx.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wipe a thin film of silicon adhesive on the surface that sits on the box and let it dry thoroughly and it will resist sliding but be movable if you desire. Make witness marks as Yankee Dog said to return it to the correct place should you unstring it.

• be sure to put a couple of small witness marks on the box where the bridge goes. Sooner or later you will change strings or bump the bridge. The witness marks will show you where the bridge is suppose to go. Otherwise your intonatation will be off if you put the bridge back in the wrong spot.

• Never had to glue one yet...proper design and install you shouldn`t need to glue it down.

• Attach a flat steel plate to the bottom of the bridge. Place a bar magnet under the lid. Viola! No more bridge creep. Allows for setting compensation angle, too.

Next step, attach two wires, one at either end of the steel plate, and wire them to an output jack. Viola! Cheapy bridge pickup.

For my next trick, I'll disappear...
  • proper   ,   or   " enough" , downward    string angle behind the   bridge  will  hold it snug  . 

but  remember   too  much,  and too   close  ,   may   push it  forward  . 

• great.  will try it without then. base of bridge is pretty flat, no rocking at all.

• Steve is right.   But sometimes due to not great work or design, a bit of hot melt glue is in order.

• no need to glue it,  the string tension will keep the bridge in place, just make sure the base of the bridge is flat and level and not rocking in any way (-:

This reply was deleted.