How strong is aluminum

hmm...Thinking...

How strong is aluminum tube ?

Diameters 1,5mm walls, inside 20, outside 23.5

Can it handel lightest bass string what is 0.26, 0.32?

Maybe I can make it stronger when I need it?

I read that aluminum can't handle weight very well.

With guitar string there will be pulling tension.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Damn. Can't find right size box. I need to fit in open 6.35 female jack with male jack, cabels and pot.

64x40x30mm is great size. I have that size box. problem is that inside is too small.

72x44x25 is great also. Problem is that I don't know inside dimensions. 

• Any loose part in tube effects sounding.

• How about using a miniature slide type pot ?

• Working on my diddley bow.  I can't fit potentiometer inside the tube very well. Inside diameter is 20mm.

306254911?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Here is the 2 string. It is my motorcycle travel git. The neck rides on the outside. the body rides inside a side bag. Took a 5400 mile trip last summer, works great in is a blast to play. Gets lots of looks.

100_8070_zps21ccad0f.jpg?width=500

here is the neck strapped to the outside. held in place with two bungie cords which put way more pressure than a couple or three strings. Didnt warp nary a bit, rain or shine.

100_8066_zps046198f1.jpg?width=500

• I have a two stringer made out of 3/4 square and a three stringer out of 1" square. I believe it will hold up better than the common 1x2 oak.

• It will be fine I'm sure, I've built a diddley bow with 20mm alu "U" section with a softwood insert in the back of it. Of course it will bend, all materials do, but as long as it doesn't bend too much, all will be OK. Stop thinking about it and make it.

• jantan,don,t think you,llhave much problem witha a 1 string d/bow,it may flex minutely,which might even enhance the sound ,unfretted,go for it

This reply was deleted.