Replies

• Would it help if I PM you my phone number and we could talk in person about it? I am generally available in the evenings.'

Dan

Scotty C. said:

In the building forum, I've posted multiple threads on my problems with too-high string action and neck angle problems. Specifically, the action of my last 3 or so builds have ended up being 3-4mm off the top of my frets at the bridge-end of the fingerboard.

My current build has an improvised neck pocket and the standard 4 screws, so I've been trying to shim it into a slight angle. But even when I get a decent slight-angle on the build, and the action seems high-but-reasonable, I'm now getting buzzed/dead tones.

Just entirely frustrating. I'm not sure if the frets need to be leveled or if there's something else gone haywire with the build.

• In the building forum, I've posted multiple threads on my problems with too-high string action and neck angle problems. Specifically, the action of my last 3 or so builds have ended up being 3-4mm off the top of my frets at the bridge-end of the fingerboard.

My current build has an improvised neck pocket and the standard 4 screws, so I've been trying to shim it into a slight angle. But even when I get a decent slight-angle on the build, and the action seems high-but-reasonable, I'm now getting buzzed/dead tones.

Just entirely frustrating. I'm not sure if the frets need to be leveled or if there's something else gone haywire with the build.

• of what kind again?

-WY

• Wes "Moanin' Mule" Yates said:

Remember, these are cigar boxes. Not Stradivarius'.

True enough. But I'm disappointed that at the stage of Build 7, i'm still having string-action issues.
  • The first two I built don't exist anymore. 3,4,and 5 are basses and a very long scale 3 string that I just put tuners back on.

the first to be good enuff for me to try to sell was #6.

Waaaaay past that now.

AFKAM

• Now that I think about it, I would say a milestone was when I redid my first one and could tell how far I came in my skills.

-WY

• Oh, about my third of fourth build.

Nah, you never really master per se being that you always are growing and learning. I think the last one I built was the best. It was for a friend and made exquisitely. The finish was immaculate and the fretwork and wood work was fabulous.

But that's me.

In reality, and I will say this, mastery is really a matter of taste and subjectivity. What I consider 'great', others might disagree. Some of the BEST builds don't show true 'mastery' of luthiery, rather a reach into the personality of the builder and what _they_ see.

Mastery really is an understanding of basic construction and to some degree sound mechanics. Not that its a _science_ around here (one can overthink things quite easily), but there are basic principals that if followed, you will be successful -- a Master.

Remember, these are cigar boxes. Not Stradivarius'.

-WY

This reply was deleted.