How long do piezo's live?

Hi all, I'm another newbie here and most of the way through my first build. I just got to the stage where I need to seal up the lid of my box, but I'm a bit scared as I don't want something to go wrong internally and have to smash up the box to get to the guts again. I know there isn't much to go wrong in there, just the piezo (and my soldering!), so just wondered how long piezo's go for? Cheers guys, this is the best web site out there!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No worries David, it's all very interesting to me, if a little advanced for the stage I'm at! I'm stock-piling all the info for future builds! There will be more....oh yes!
    Cheers

David Lloyd said:
    Hi,
    Please call me David - firstly I would like to apologise to Mr Perry for changing the direction of the topic - not intentional but due to over enthusiasm on my part.
    In answer to your question the cone is a 7inch resonator cone I obtained from an ebay seller he has one listed at the moment
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2303821044...
    the seller is full of excellent information and a pleasure to deal with.
    Regards,
    David

Weizel said:
    Mr. Lloyd,
    I know this is quite off topic, but what are you using for the cone?
  • Thanks, I'm trying to plan out a resonator for a future build.
  • Hi,
    Please call me David - firstly I would like to apologise to Mr Perry for changing the direction of the topic - not intentional but due to over enthusiasm on my part.
    In answer to your question the cone is a 7inch resonator cone I obtained from an ebay seller he has one listed at the moment
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2303821044...
    the seller is full of excellent information and a pleasure to deal with.
    Regards,
    David

Weizel said:
    Mr. Lloyd,
  • Yeah, sorry Julian - I got it all a bit sidetracked..

Nice to meet you and all that ;)

Julian Perry said:
    Cheers mate, and thanks to all the advice from everyone. I got so caught up in the notion that I had to seal the lid, that I missed the obvious! I think I will simply screw it shut for now and see how it goes. Besides everyone I show it to, wants a peek inside anyway!
    Must be the most resourceful and recyclingest bunch on the web! Thanks guys!!

Paul Doug said:
    Welcome to the forum, Julian. Back to you original question, I think piezos last a long time, but there is no reason to seal you box. Screws or a latch works well.
  • Cheers mate, and thanks to all the advice from everyone. I got so caught up in the notion that I had to seal the lid, that I missed the obvious! I think I will simply screw it shut for now and see how it goes. Besides everyone I show it to, wants a peek inside anyway!
    Must be the most resourceful and recyclingest bunch on the web! Thanks guys!!

Paul Doug said:
    Welcome to the forum, Julian. Back to you original question, I think piezos last a long time, but there is no reason to seal you box. Screws or a latch works well.
  • Mr. Lloyd,
  • Welcome to the forum, Julian. Back to you original question, I think piezos last a long time, but there is no reason to seal you box. Screws or a latch works well.
  • Yes David (sorry missed your post) I've been putting them in series with a small tone pot (10K), which oddly seems to clear things quite a bit. I'll have a try with them in parallel then, thanks for that..

cheers
    Erik

David Lloyd said:
    I would be gratful if you could let me know if this is the case - it means I could play around with the wiring on my next build so I can alter the piezo disc tone by changing the circuit between series and parallel.
    Regards,

• Like Ben just said, and to put a Janice Joplin spin on it, "Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose...!" Leave the top free, or use small screws, as mentioned before. I build my own boxes, and it DOES make it easier to get back in and rework things, if one feels the need. CHEERS!
  • Hi David

Thanks for that...and I'm the same, I'm afraid - try it and see - seems to be my main approach.

I've been playing with 10K & 25K pot as tone knobs, which is more a little amp thing really, but seems to work OK on a piezo guitar. I must admit I'm thinking more of using the amps controls too as it is easier that way.

Its good to know that the piezos in series work well though, I guess its down to something I'm doing then..

cheers
    Erik

David Lloyd said:
    Hi Erik,

Yes in this case I used a standard telecaster wiring diagram wiring the 3 way switch to the magnetic pickup in the neck position and all 4 piezos (35mm discs) as one in the bridge position. Output then goes to a 500k pot for volume with another 500k pot with a 0.047mF cap as a tone control. Output then to the jack socket. The sound is quite bright but after reading your posting I had a play with this and the other CBGs I have made with 3 piezos and all sound fine but although the tone pot on each works with the magnetic pickups the tone pot has little effect on the piezo sound. I hadn't noticed before as I have found the sound to be what I wanted - also I tend to use the amp settings to alter tone rather than the guitar. Having had a quick play I have noticed even the amp controls have less effect on the tone of the piezos compared to the magnetic pickups. Not sure why - I guess it is linked to the impedance difference, but all the electrical theory goes over my head.
    Regards,
    David

Erik Ryman said:
    David - do you use a tone control with that many piezos in series? I've been playing around with the same, but more than a couple starts to get muddy unless I add something to vary the tone..

That's going to be a beautiful guitar - love the look of the neck
This reply was deleted.