Replies

• Thank for everyones help. Here's how my slots came out.

• Al said:
    I like that. What height of nut should I be looking for?
    Height depends on personal preference. Some like it higher, especially if primarily playing slide. More experienced players and fretted playing may make a lower action more desireable.
    I would recommend starting high, and not securing the nut in such a way as to make lowering it some later too difficult. I have seen unfretted slide setups at 3/16" or more at the nut. And I have setup fretted instruments at 1/16" or so, or as close as you can get without buzzy results.
    As your playing develops, you will become aware of what you want, action wise.
  • here's one way to do it. add a piece of wood to the top of the headstock, something nice and contrasting perhaps, like this maple and walnut. leave enough space so your nut fits snugly. I tend to not glue the nut (or the bridge) to allow for adjustment and replacement.

• I like that. What height of nut should I be looking for?
  • Or, you can just cut off the end of the fretboard and glue the nut on top of the neck....
  • I found that a nice, square mill file is useful for cleaning up the slot and fitting the nut.
  • Thanks for all the help. Sounds like I will cut with a copping saw, then chisel out.
  • Er.... superglue the nut on top of the fretboard ;o)
  • Or if I am making lots of them, I get the router table out and do it that way. You just have to be careful to exit the wood slowly so you don't knock a chip out of the exit side of the neck.
  • If im feeling crafty, I use hand saw and chisel. If I just want it done, I use the tablesaw and sled.
This reply was deleted.