OK, I bought these nice necks from Gitty and I need to install Nuts on them now.

They are both going to be 3 string guitars, I would like to use bone or very hard wood on one of them and a bolt on the other (first builds).

Gitty has drawn a pencil line on the neck to indicate the spot for the Nut, so I am assuming that is where the string needs to touch the Nut.

I guess my question is, how do I cut or groove the neck to accept the bone/wood Nut and then the bolt?

Here is a picture of the necks.

Cheers...

photo.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i use bolts or drywall screws for nuts and make the slot for em with a rat tail file. i did make a bone nut once for a gitty that didnt have a seperate fretboard and cut the slot with a backsaw

• OK - this is great y'all - exactly the information I needed.

Cheers...

-

• i use 1/8" flat pieces of bone that work very well, i glue them in with super glue butted up to the fretboard end (you don't need to cut a slot) then dress them in place before the tuners are fittted. Be careful cutting slots, an ordinary saw will not do! (-:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/i-was-going-nuts

305930447?profile=original

• If you look at the necks he bought one has the frets in the neck [ No fretboard ] If you don`t slot the neck for the nut and just glue it on...it will move over time!!!  best to use a fine tooth backsaw or fret saw for cutting the nut slot in the neck !

• ...ok just an alternative! (-:

without a fretboard a slot would have to be cut, but i would really recommend the use of a fretboard as it helps reinforce the neck.

• If your going to use a bone nut 1/4" thick    -  2 ways ..with a dremel and a straight sided carving bit, or take a backsaw and cut 2 lines 1/4" apart and about 1/8" - 3/16" deep and break out the wood with either a small chisel or carefully with a razorknife, then using a small 1/8" wide file bevel out the cut. I`d use epoxy to glue the nut in. If you using a bolt just use a round file to make a spot for it to set in.

This reply was deleted.