During a Cigar Box Nation TV broadcast on cigar box banjos, Wade Costenbader joined in the comments and offered some great suggestions for dealing with the pesky 5th string peg on cigar box banjos.

One of his tips that makes banjo neck making easier:  Use standard 1x2 for the neck, then glue a narrowed piece of 1/4" (fretboard wood) perpendicular to the fretboard side of the neck starting at the 5th fret. That 1/4" width is all you need to squeeze that 5th string in there.

When it comes to the 5th string peg, he creates his own using a zither pin and scrap of wood.  "I drill a hole into a scrap piece of hardwood. Glue a zither pin into the hole and your done. a bit of wax on the threads makes for easier tuning."

Got suggestions of your own?  Post them along with pics in the comments!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah Wade, here's one thing I've tried that worked pretty well. I've also done a tunneled 5th string that runs under the fretboard and up to a tuner on the headstock.

Banjo 5th string tuner

• Exactly! I was thinking one of those inexpensive tuners that have two holes on the post may be the ticket. I've sold both banjos without even trying- as soon as the husband tells the wife that it would make a great practice banjo because it is much quieter than their banjo at home the wife is ready to buy!
  • Great idea!

• Thanks Jim. I enjoy creative problem solving. I am also thinking about using a regular tuner at the 5th fret by glueing a 1/2" block at the 5th fret and drilling a hole through the block and allow the geared tuner to be attached-either way great fun!
This reply was deleted.