hey guys

Prob about to cause another shitstorm thread with lots of name calling and fists flying! lol ;-)

Question is I an a tiny bit familiar with mandolin and its tuning but I recently came across an intrument called a BOUZOUKI which if im correct is similiar tuning but not as high in pitch! In not huge fan of high pitch!

So has anyone built a cbg version and used that tuning?

If so how did you find the tuning?

Do single notes sound a little closer to chords as you have two fist and last note of 151 tuning?

Apologies in advance for any bar fights about to incur!

As always thanks guys!!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 306437051?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Here is a pic of what was intended to be a 4 string, 21 inch SL, Tenor Banjo with a 10 inch round cookie can and when the can vibrated too much, I put this big cigar box on.  It's now a Octave Mandolin tuned GDEA, one octave below a mandolin.

• I"m guessing this is a lot like a Cuban tres guitar.

https://youtu.be/XaQ3cbvylqM

• Interesting thats another new one for me! didnt even know there was standard looking guitars that have that kind of tuning!

Are there any standard type guitars that are 3 or 4 string apart from uke! normal scale guitars?

• cheers Oily just what i was looking great info!

Brilliant playing as always I see also you get some amazing sounds from if im not mistaking one finger chords?

Would love to hear it amplyfied with a bit of dirt!

• The mandolin has all the cousins that the violin has: mandola, mandocello (or occasionally mandolonCello) and mandoBass. There was a brief period of 'mandolin orchestras' (popularised mostly by Gibson marketing efforts) in the 40s..

A mandola is tuned a perfect fifth below a mandolin (ie capo one to fret7 and its a mandolin), a mandocello an octave below that.

Bouzoukis are different, although you could certainly put one in mandocello tuning
  • I heard a bouzouki player in a cheese shop once.

Also, you can consider the octave mandolin if you don't like the high pitch so much.  Same tuning as a mandolin, but one octave lower.  Scale length being longer makes it easier for me to play as well.  You can get commercial strings for them as well.

Good luck.

• A bouzouki player walks into a cheese shop...

The punch lines kinda' write themselves.

• I like it runny.

Sometimes, just a bit of the joke is enough to bring a laugh.  :)

• that joke is probably a little runnier than you would like.

This reply was deleted.