When I built my first CBG it was fretless and I enjoyed the process of, at least, getting a reasonable tune out of it. I have since built a fretted version but I’m having trouble getting to grips with it. My problem is that I have very small, arthritic hands and I have problems with some of the chords. I cannot possibly, for example, fret a 2nd and 5th fret at the same time, thus limiting my progress. Is there anyone in a similar situation who could advise me?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi again, try a capo and still tune as normal. A piece of dowel and an elastic band around the back would do it to try it out. Play where the frets are closer.
    Taff

• Depends on number of strings, scale length, tunings, wood choices, etc.  Should not be a problem with a 3 or 4 string CBG unless too soft neck wood.  A glued on fretboard also adds strength.  

I have a fully carved 24" scale Poplar neck with Red Oak fretboard strung with .056, .044, & .032  strings tuned to EBE.  Zero issues.

• Sound advice, thank you. However, would carving more wood off the neck potentially weaken it?

• " My necks are 35mm x 25mm and I use a router to round the back edges"

I much prefer a fully carved C shape neck, so that it feels like a regular guitar neck.

Try carving a piece of pine to a C shape.  Make it the same 35x25 dimensions & draw fret lines on it. Now just practice your difficult cords on that stick o' pine & see if a full carve is more comfortable.

Make your fret lines removeable (mark on masking tape perhaps) & you can try out shorter scales. 

I cut a piece of pine to neck dimensions that simulated an added fretboard. I left a section of it non-carved, a section with rounded edges, & a section that was a full carve.  Confirmed my suspicions.  Carved neck for me.

• Thank you for the encouragement Taffy.

• Hi, well as one old timer to another I play mostly three cord songs or songs that do not require demanding cords. Mainly because I’m too lazy to learn them. I also mix chord playing with single string notes or play just part of the chord.

That’s why I play the blues. The same song on a six string with 4-5 chords I can get away with using three shaped chords and single strings.

Good luck Taff

• I had considered that. My necks are 35mm x 25mm and I use a router to round the back edges.

• Try a shorter scale.  The frets will be a bit closer together.

What width & thickness neck are you using?  Is it a fully carved neck or are the corners just rounded off?

This reply was deleted.