Replies

• thanks for your help. so far I've made 7 cbg's.I learn more each time.

Charlotte Henry said:

I did the pictures with my cell phone. I have a photobucket app on my cell phone  so I upload to photobucket  with the greatest of ease.  My cell phone camera is 8 megapixels. :o)  On the top of the message area is a tool bar and to the far left are "Link" "Image" and "Media". Click on image and then follow the directions.

The cut only gets me in the ballpark. I true everything up with a wood sanding block and 100 grit and 150 grit paper and I check the fit frequently until I know I have a perfect joint.  One of the things I'm checking is how square the line is where the scarf meets the top of the board (the part where the fretboard will be glued) and I check that with a square. 

• I did the pictures with my cell phone. I have a photobucket app on my cell phone  so I upload to photobucket  with the greatest of ease.  My cell phone camera is 8 megapixels. :o)  On the top of the message area is a tool bar and to the far left are "Link" "Image" and "Media". Click on image and then follow the directions.

The cut only gets me in the ballpark. I true everything up with a wood sanding block and 100 grit and 150 grit paper and I check the fit frequently until I know I have a perfect joint.  One of the things I'm checking is how square the line is where the scarf meets the top of the board (the part where the fretboard will be glued) and I check that with a square. 

• Charlotte, I use my band saw to cut mine. but I think I will try your way.looks like it might be better. thanks. how did you send the pictures. I don't know how how.

Charlotte Henry said:

I made my jig for cutting the scarf on my necks out of scrap wood from the shop trash can. This is quick to make and it works without a problem but I really use C clamps instead of spring clamps when I actually use it. IMAG0238.jpgIMAG0241.jpg

• thanks, thats the way I ended up making mine. I made a jig for my band saw. It works good if I don't rush the process. 

JUJU AKA SOUNDSSOGOOD said:

theres another way that i do a scarf joint have a look at the start of the video it shows the method i use which gives a much stronger joint than gluing the scarf joint off cut under the neck - doing it the way i do it you get two glue joints one on the scarf joint and another on the fretboard to neck/headstock joint = much more glue line = stronger joints

hope it helps :)

http://youtu.be/45S0JJCIE68

• If you have something uglier than my jig, I want to see it.

Charlotte Henry said:

JUJU, I've done scarf joints that way but they are so visible.  When I glue on a faceplate and wings to the headstock my joint is wrapped on 3 sides.  It all works, but its fun to see how everybody else does stuff.  The shop where I'm doing most of my building I feel like pulling the table saw out is a pain.  When I was working at home I used my table saw and that jig looks like William McCauley's, but uglier........butt uglier.

• JUJU, I've done scarf joints that way but they are so visible.  When I glue on a faceplate and wings to the headstock my joint is wrapped on 3 sides.  It all works, but its fun to see how everybody else does stuff.  The shop where I'm doing most of my building I feel like pulling the table saw out is a pain.  When I was working at home I used my table saw and that jig looks like William McCauley's, but uglier........butt uglier.

• theres another way that i do a scarf joint have a look at the start of the video it shows the method i use which gives a much stronger joint than gluing the scarf joint off cut under the neck - doing it the way i do it you get two glue joints one on the scarf joint and another on the fretboard to neck/headstock joint = much more glue line = stronger joints

hope it helps :)

http://youtu.be/45S0JJCIE68

• Just to throw in my two cents. I have attached some pics of my scarf jig. Pretty simple, a sheet of 1/2 mdf with some reference notes on it and a scrap piece of oak. It gives a 13 degree cut. I just run it along the rip fence.     

100_2170.JPG

100_2169.JPG

100_2167.JPG

• I made my jig for cutting the scarf on my necks out of scrap wood from the shop trash can. This is quick to make and it works without a problem but I really use C clamps instead of spring clamps when I actually use it. IMAG0238.jpgIMAG0241.jpg

• My way of cutting the scarf joint is by using a jig.  My jig consists of one piece of rectangular plywood and one board of any reasonable dimension, i.e. 1X2, 2X4, etc. The board is fastened on edge on a perpindicular angle to the side of the board that meets the mitre saw fence.  I clamp the neck blank to the board and to the plywood base far enough back so that the mitre saw is never restricted in its movement executing the cut.  I set the angle of the cut at 13-15 degrees, use my left hand to push the plywood base into the fence while I make the cut with my right hand. The first time you use the jig it will cut the corner off the plywood base and the fence board which will show you on subsequent cuts exactly where your blank will be cut.  Super simple, super fast.  I clamp the cut off piece to the neck blank so that the bevels meet and form one long ramp.  I use a wood sanding block with 100 grit paper to true the two pieces up.IMAG0223.jpg

This reply was deleted.