So as time progresses, I'm getting closer and closer to starting my first build. My tuners just got delivered today, so I guess I'll probably start on the head of it first off.

I'd like to do an angled headstock, but I'm not sure what the best angle for it is, any tips, suggestions etc..? 

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• With a zero fret you still have to address string alignment, but you have a couple of options.

1. A nut like string guide.

2. individual string guides (like the screws you see on some electric guitars.

3. Shape the peg head in a wedge shape so tuner posts are in the proper alignment for your string spacing.

I've used all three and each works fine.

• I've started shaping some antler blocks for a bridge and a nut, but if that doesn't go well I'll probably try out the screw method. Thanks!

• Hi Roland, here is what Uncle john is talking about. Only one of these necks has a scarf joint peghead.

I save it for the classier models I make, I have tried all ways as you can see. some are straight though at the neck thickness, but this depends on the length of the tuner posts.

Cheers Taff

306669064?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 306669262?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 Taff

• If you're not scarfing, aren't you cutting away some wood somewhere, and isn't that harder?

• Okay, I see. Thanks y'all! And yet again... One more thing (for now)I'm going to be using a zero fret, what'll be the best way to keep my strings straight since I wont have string slots in a nut?

• Hi, with a zero fret you will still need a nut with slots to hold the strings at the correct spacing. However the slots have to be lower than the top surface of the zero fret. The zero fret will not allow you vary nut action height, unless you fit a different size fret.

cheers Taff

• Yup!

• Roland, I like Titebond glue and there are other good ones. 

I would say that unless you are a good, experienced wood worker that keeping a first build simple is the way to go.  No scarf.  Cut the head stock down so it sits lower than the fret board - or use a glued on fret board that causes the head stock to be lower.  

Bolts for nuts reduce strings hopping out of place.  Making the head stock long enough to have about two inches between the nut and nearest tuner helps create some downward angle and keep the strings where you need them.  In the CBG world, most of us have no qualms about stringing the strings to the 'wrong' side of the machine heads- the straightest alignment will work best. 

Scarf it if you want.  Have fun and good wishes.  Build, learn and move on to the next one.  A great starting

how to play video is knotlenny's cbg 101.  You can google it or find it at page top under resources/how to play.

• LUTE%20neck%20MOD_thumb_2.jpg

if this worked for medieval lutes,  then its really up to you what angle, if it does what you want, its right...

• Hi again if you look down the side bar of recent posts in  "forum", check out "Another way splice/scarf jig" it shows gluing ideas.

Taff.

This reply was deleted.