Ok, I've been lurking around here for a while and have read A LOT of good build advice and have started my first build and although it's going well so far, I've started thinking about my second . . . I should've heeded when so many have said it's an addiction.

So, on with my question:
Does the machine head determine the thickness of the head and what is a good starting height to set the nut?
Also, has anyone used oak for a nut and if so, what was your experience?

Thanks in advance for any comments and help.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks, Grizz!

Grizz said:
    Nice build. Very well done.
  • Thanks, Carl.
    That's pretty much how I did it. Little chunks of time here and there when ever I could. I took longer than I thought it would but in the end I'm glad I took that much time to build it. It gave me more time to deliberate each step.

Carl Robson said:
    Looks good. I hope my first build which will soon hopefully be ready for assembly. Been doing odd 20mins/1/2hours for a couple of months. Will go for the big push and hopefully will finish it within the next week, and work on wiring it after I've sen how it plays acoustic.
  • Looks good. I hope my first build which will soon hopefully be ready for assembly. Been doing odd 20mins/1/2hours for a couple of months. Will go for the big push and hopefully will finish it within the next week, and work on wiring it after I've sen how it plays acoustic.
  • Nice build. Very well done.
  • Ok, you guys asked for more pics loaded on my page, here they are (not sure how to get pics loaded in the thread that they just show): http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/albums/cbg-build-1

Again, thank you to all for your help.
  • Ha ha ok ok I'll get to it. Stay tuned . . . err . . . no pun intended.
  • It looks great - I agree with the call for more pictures and loaded on your page!
  • Tsk. Only ONE photo, and none on your page? Get to it, chum, there's pixels that need work. Let's see shots of the peg head, bridge, and nut.

Of course, what I *can* see looks awesome...
  • First build Finally, done!
    Ted Crocker electronics. Econo Tuners. Oak neck, knobs and nut. Bronze strings. Sounds like a wooden banjo. Medium sustain.
    Sorry no sound files yet. More pics soon.
    Thank you to everyone. Whether you know it or not, you've had an impact on this and me.
    Please let me know thoughts!

0519001932_done.jpg

• Thank you for your input, Alan. So string spacing aside, the rest looks ok?

Alan Roberts said:
    Bruce said:
    Ok, if I may ask for a little more help. Can someone please tell me if these variables look right to set up my fretboard?

Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.

3/4" width at the nut and bridge? Well... that is interesting. I just measured mine (not that it's a gold standard or anything), but it's 1/32 over a solid inch.

I have fat fingers. Let me know how that works out.

BTW, when building instruments, I've almost gone exclusively metric. Every time I have to divide, say, 3 5/8" by 5 I want to shriek.
This reply was deleted.