Harmonica substitute?

Help!!! I'm pretty much a one man show. Every once in a while there is a song that I want to play that just sounds better with a harmonica solo. (such as She Caught the KATY) Anyway, I don't play harmonica and don't plan on learning anytime soon. Anyone out there have ideas for a possible harmonica substitute? thanks, Wichitha Sam

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• By the way, I forgot to mention....this is my B-day coming up this week...So I am treating myself to a harp holder and a new key of D harp. Going to drive the wife crazy I am sure.
  • I have had a harmonica since I was about 8. My brother bought me a Aviator in the gey of C I think at the old music store when I was a kid. I carried that thing around and played it all the tiem. As time went on I was made fun of and never stuck with it. So now.....flash forwared to now....I have 2 key of C's harps in my desk....am I John Poopper? Not by far....I don't play them for the simple reason I was always under the impression they are one of those interuments that no one wants to hear untill you are really good, or you are on in a band as a fill or you are in a concert and someone plays and for those who don't really like harmonica music are kinda forced to listen. Me, I love a good, wronchy harmoinca. Can't get enough of it. Now, as far as playing goes, I agree there is no sub...but this is what I am sick of. For example.....Neal Young, I don't think he is a great harp player, but he used it in a lot of hus music. Then you have John Popper that puts us all to shame....if you like it, listen to it, play it, I don't care if you stink at it...what ever makes you happy,Too many people out there are over thinking music, if your having fun, great, who over thinks having fun?
  • I've been coming across a lot of old pre-war blues lately and suprisingly enough, a lot of those guys played kazoo in some of their songs. Definitely not what a harmonica does but it deserves respect in its own way. I dig it. Jug bands do a lot of kazoo too. Google up "jug bands" and you'll be able to find a lot of stuff.

My wife just called and told me i have a set of harmonicas waiting for me that just came in the mail. cant wait to get off work and pull em out!

Roger Martin said:
    Here's a sub, play a KAZOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
  • Sounds familiar! If I pick mine up, the dogs go ballistic. I can play down at the "low" end OK, but any notes above the middle of the scale and I get a face full of retrievers!
  • I've got 3 harps and I play them just as good as I do a guitar! Neither words, I sit in my soundproof room in my basement and entertain myself so I don't get arrested for disturbing the peace. I even pick up the box my harp is in and my dog start howling. You guys all say it is easy?! Where are my anti-depression pills......
  • Hate to admit it, but Iv got a full set of harps sat gathering dust, totally umplayed, ever. Maybe its easy enough to get a few notes, maybe a short riff, but dont be fooled, playing good harp is like everything else... it dont happen over night. I have to agree though, nothing else sounds quite like a harp so....
    Have a go, buy one of those teach yourself book and cd sets - if its just the occasional 2 bar fill, maybe even 8 or 16 solo, practice a set piece, and keep it simple - simple is often most effective. Ok, so its not real 'flying by the seat of your pants' soloing, but the crowd wont know that right? Unless they come to see you every night... lol
    Im inspired anyway - Im gonna dig my harps out again! :o)
  • As suggested, kazoo is a great and cheap way to fake a melody, though not the same as a harp somehow. Best is really learning to play a couple of basic melodies and transitions. Really is not so difficult to do either...

You could try a jewish harp, which is kind of different, but gives for some really neat rythmic and filtered passages as well.
  • lee oscar makes a harp called a "melody maker" they've changed a few note in the traditional set up. i find it works real well.
  • I do this - had to run a sheet metal screw into the kazoo so the holder kinda wedges between the screw and the round upright part . . . . but its for a 'change-up" only - Doc is absolutely right: "There IS no substitute for a harmonica."

"I have seen a couple of acts come out with a regular harmonica "holder" and stick a Kazoo in it... Pretty funny."
  • There's no substitute for a harp, lol. But kazoo is easier to learn (it's about the only thing that's easier).
This reply was deleted.